Concerns about tight clothing and ileostomy

Replies
Views
Firefly

Is it possible that tight clothing (stretch jeans) would be harmful for an ileostomy?

StarUK

No, it's all about your comfort and whether your stoma will tolerate it. Don't worry, it will let you know if it's not happy, so go for it!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,429 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Pintsize519

I agree - I have a colostomy and wear skinny jeans all the time! No problems! PS I wear GAP - style 1969. The "Sexy Boyfriend" is also very comfortable. Happy shopping!

Firefly

My very first post and it was answered ASAP!! Thanks one and all.

TimothyKevin

It is a problem for me since I am a large man. Wearing denim jeans or shorts is tighter by its nature as a fabric, and the problem comes when the ileostomy pouch starts filling up. I have to evacuate the pouch about 10 times a day it seems, which is still a considerable drag after more than twenty years of this burden. And then other times it fills with gas which creates a similar problem when you have jeans. Wearing elastic stretch pants helps, or possibly getting jeans or dress pants possibly a half size or size larger than usual. I've had several accidents in public but managed to make it out of these situations without getting arrested, LOL. Life is hard.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
honeygirl

If normal jeans cause a problem, I have found success with maternity jeans as the band stretches (gives) and allows everything to flow. You just have to wear longer tops to cover the stretchy part or wear it as if it is a T-shirt tucked in. Very comfortable.

Past Member
Reply to TimothyKevin

Hi Timothy,

I can totally relate to this and understand the issues with jeans. I have designed jeans especially for ostomates. They have a skin-thin, stretchy belly band built into the jeans to support the stoma and protect it from the denim. It's a very clever design and actually makes emptying the bag easier too as there is a special opening which is great for high output. You can take a look here www.iamdenim.co.uk

or on Instagram @iamdenimlondon

Hope this helps and you can wear jeans again!

Past Member
Reply to TimothyKevin

Hi Timothy,

I can totally relate to this and understand the issues with jeans. I have designed jeans especially for ostomates. They have a skin-thin, stretchy belly band built into the jeans to support the stoma and protect it from the denim. It's a very clever design and actually makes emptying the bag easier too as there is a special opening which is great for high output. You can take a look here on Instagram @iamdenimlondon. Hope this helps and you can wear jeans again!

Past Member