Medications with an Ileostomy

Replies
Views
cassiemarie

I am on quite a few medications, including several that are time released. After asking my pharmacist, I found out that most of them are absorbed in the colon. Since I no longer have a colon, I am very concerned that I am not absorbing enough of my meds. I see the little white balls of medication just released in my bag...floating around.
Do any of you have this problem? Have you had to have any of your meds 'compounded'? My pharmacist has helped very little and I thought since that was their specialty, they would be most informed!

white rose

I have had an ileostomy now for almost 2 years. I too had this same problem where my medications would pass whole into my bag. My doctor prescribed liquid medications when possible. The pharmacy can get you many medications in liquid form. Also, you might check to see if your pills can be crushed and mixed with some applesauce or pudding. The other thing my doctor told me was to not take medications that were enteric coated. Hope this helps.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,315 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Sophie96

I would say the best thing is to crush them and then take it with yogurt. Also, if possible, I find that the capsule-type pills work much better for me than the solid tablets, which just tend to go through me like yours do! I've had liquid antibiotics a couple of times, but most of my output is quite liquidy, so it's hard to tell whether it's been absorbed or not. x

ahavvah
Nurse

Be careful about the time-released because you don't want to crush those. Some capsules have time-released balls that you can open and put in applesauce but just don't crush. I would talk to the physician to get any time-released meds changed. There is a chance that you may need to take a smaller amount more often. Liquid or chewable medicine is the best. And I've always told my patients if they are unsure about a certain pill, to put one pill in a small glass of water and if it dissolved within 30 minutes it should be ok! Pharmacists are usually very helpful. If you're not pleased with the response you got, I would make sure you were talking to the pharmacist (not the pharm tech) and you can always ask at another pharmacy.

jodie

I have been buying chewables in most vitamins. Wish there was one for Magnesium 400mg
and aspirin. Been taking enteric coated every night at bedtime because they found some blood vessels bleeding from an endoscopy. Have to watch meds and of course the aspirin. Any suggestions? Another question, my Dr. said I have to put back with water what I empty. Have an Ileostomy always emptying bag. YUH!!!! Gee, that did not come out right. U know what I am saying? Hmmm.
Please excuse my writing, computer needs replacing. Keys not working.

Thank you,

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister