What works for you?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
windycottage

Trying different bags, one and two piece. What works better? What is the majority of people use? Why does it work for you? Some say the two piece sticks out too much. If you're going to read it, please give your opinion.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,104 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

annie_nu2

I use the two-piece. I never tried the one-piece because it looks too bulky. I am petite and don't want to have to deal with any more bulk than I have to. Good luck!!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Past Member

I prefer the 2-piece system also. However, you must find out which system works best for you!! My suggestion is to Google Coloplast and Convatech, Hollister, and any others you can think of. Call their customer service department and talk to someone about trying different systems until you get what works best. They will be happy to send you a few samples of each product.
Be sure to request a few sample Eakin rings (might be their brand). These are a great product that extends your wear time and provides extra security against leaks. Good luck!

junopete

For me, my biggest challenge at first was getting anything that would seal for more than 2 hours. I called both Hollister and Convatec several times and talked with their ostomy nurses. Both companies sent me two each of about every thing they had.
After much trial and error, I found the Convatec products worked the best for me. The Eakin seal was a lifesaver. I tried all kinds of one-piece and two-piece arrangements.
For me, I liked the two-piece finally settling on the bigger drainable pouch. This pouch worked well at night, not for waste, because I would not eat before going to bed. The problem was gas; the bigger bag worked better. I found the filters not to work well after a few hours, I would change out just the filter, still had problems. I ended up using the Osto Vent which is a manual vent I would locate at the top of the bag.

One more thing that made a big difference for me. Using the two-piece system meant I could place the wafer exactly where it had to go because I could see the stoma when placing the wafer. Then I would just clip the bag on. I did use the Hollister belt. The Convatec bags had little ears on them so a person could use a generic belt.

When you get it right. By that, I mean the correct site preparation, the right adhesive for your skin, and the wafer has to be off the right material for your intestinal enzymes, the hole the right size for your stoma, you will have few to no blowouts or leaks and you will not get the burning or irritation around the stoma. It took me months of trying different things out.

I didn't really notice much difference in one system showing through more than another.
My stoma was right at my belt line, I had to wear my pants at the waist somewhat loose, for me it made no difference. I can see for a lady it could make a difference.

Good luck.

Rick.....

junopete

Something I forgot to mention. I would change out the system every 3 days. I found that by doing this, I avoided a lot of problems. I have no doubt that in most cases, I could have gone 4 to 6 days. But to me, it was not worth the risk of a leak, so every 3 days. The only time I would have problems is from sweating, my wear time would decrease. Also, more for guys than the ladies, is hair growth around the stoma. The natural hair growth will lessen the seal of the wafer.

Rick.....

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
WAB

I also prefer the 2-piece (Hollister Convatec) system as well, as some have said the gas outlets do not work that well. I only wish they made a smaller bag for the 2-piece system as I irrigate (another process which incredibly sets you free... travel, restaurants, sex... whoopee... LOL HIHIHIIIIII).

Well, this was a lifesaver and the only problem I have is gas sometimes, of course depending on what I eat. I also find the glue strips made by Coloplast great as they hold the flange in place more securely and are not a messy cleaning process as with the glue in a tube. I also use a skin prep, which dries the skin and removes unwanted glue from the flange. I have never had a rash or problem with heat (spent time in Mexico and well had no problems).

Also, those who do not swim may not know, as I found the flange glues tighter in the water. Maybe it is the brand I am using (Hollister).

I wish the companies would make a cap and small flange for those intimate moments for those of us who irrigate. It would be like just having a funny band-aid. Now I wear a cummerbund to hide the bag and flange. What man does not look sexy in a cummerbund? LOL hihihihiiih

isabella

Hi
I have tried both types, a 1-piece and 2-piece, and prefer the 2-piece. I use Coloplast and find that this system, for me, is great. The pouches are drainable, so you have the option of draining or putting a new pouch on with ease. I feel much fresher with this as I can wash the flange and stoma. The flange can easily last for 5/6 days. When changing this, I use a lavender moisturizer and skin barrier and have had no problems with my skin. It's mostly a case of trial and error, and you have to find one that suits your lifestyle. As someone else suggested, the companies' customer services will gladly send you samples to try. Hope this helps!
Isabella

Past Member

I'm a one-piece Hollister person, the smaller the pouch the better. Don't have many problems, thank goodness. A two-piece always seemed to show a bit or have a little bulk. The small one-piece Hollister I wear isn't noticeable ....and can't really feel it much either. I have to change the appliance every two days.

Past Member

Hollister 2-piece system for me, even the convex ones are very unobtrusive and lay flat. The advantage of the 2-piece is that you don't need to change the base as often (it can sometimes last up to a week) and you can check on the stoma every day with the bag change. Additionally, you can use different size bags for whatever situation. But I guess it's all just personal preference. All the companies are quite happy to send you free samples for whatever you need.

vulcanBMk2

I'm a urostomate. I use a one-piece Welland. I use a Colorplast night bag. I change my Welland every 48 hours and my night bag I use for 6-7 days.

Past Member

I use the two-piece Hollister Mini pouch, having a colostomy and knowing my bowel movements lets me remove the bag and go directly into the bowl, not always but at least when I am home. Some comfort knowing that I am not a slave to the bag. Not to get off the subject, but has anyone heard of these disposable liners? I read it on someone's post and emailed them, but they never responded.

Bobby
Past Member
http://www.colostomymajic.com/ Here ya go... They will send you a sample. I tried them and they work well, but since I started irrigation I no longer require them.
Faith4Today

I have a colostomy but my nurse and doctor didn't want me to irrigate. Worried about strictures or blockages, but I don't have a disease that caused this, just severe constipation and a colon that doesn't move things alone. There are great little caps or decorated covers for those intimate moments. As for bags, I really like the 2-piece and being able to keep an eye on my stoma. I did have a leak problem that was solved by an Eakin cohesive seal (ring), but the only flange that would really stick was ConvaTec Sur-fit Natura Durahesive moldable. I have showered and swam twice and after it dries, it seems to have an even tighter fit. The moldable flange also gives you a perfect fit for any stoma size. It gets kind of gooey (is that a word?) which also helps the seal. I am a newbie but I have a great nurse who has tried every fit out there until we found something that worked. Also, I use the small closed disposable bag because I hate seeing and handling the poo still. Hope this helps.

Past Member

Sounds like maybe I should try more two-piece appliances to save changing every two days. Love hearing what everyone has to say.

Redneck Cowgirl

You mentioned about irrigate. Do you have an Ileostomy or Colostomy and what is it to irrigate? I have only had my Ileostomy since July 2009 and there is a lot to learn to make things better with this. You mentioned using a strip instead of the paste. I was wondering what difference it makes. I use Hollister two-piece with paste on the flange and usually can go a week with it, but if something else would be more secure for that week, I would like to know about it.
Please let me know.

Redneck Cowgirl

Past Member

Hey cowgirl, irrigation flushes out the colon so you can go a day or so without any "output".
It can't be done if you have an ileo. The Eakin rings are basically a really thick version of the paste, they are in my opinion quite an improvement. Why not call your product manufacturer and ask for a few samples, I can almost promise that it will extend your wear time. Good luck and let us know how they work for you.