Colostomy bag leaking - need help!

Replies
Views
anansimann

My wife does her best to help me change my, and even used the paste around the bag to try to prevent a leak. Yet, 3 hours later I would spring a leak between the bag and my skin. I am very frustrated by this. What can I do to fix this annoying problem?

mild_mannered_super_hero
Hello, welcome to the site. We all have trouble when we first start...you will learn how to master this, so have faith...that is the most important thing.

Everyone is different, so you have to find what works best for your situation and skin type, body shape, etc.

Most ostomy supply makers will send you a few free samples of different type flanges, pouches, etc to try and see what works best. Most also have a customer service person who can help you with some simple problems.

The first and most important step to a good seal is the prep before installing your flange.

One of the most common mistakes made by newbies is using a soap which contains perfumes, lotions, moisturizers, etc..... IT WILL NOT HOLD
The skin MUST be clean and DRY... I use yellow dial soap, others may work.... throw everything else out, so you don't forget.

SHAVE the area if it has hair, pat dry with a paper towel or toilet paper.

LOOK at your skin, is it smooth, non-red or inflamed?? It is the "foundation" on which you build, if inflamed it must be treated (some folks use Mylanta).

APPLY a good skin prep, I prefer the wipe on's that contain alcohol, this seals the skin and makes it slightly "tacky"

THROW OUT THE PASTE, get some free samples of the "Eakin ring" or one of the knock-offs
Put the ring directly on the prepped skin

Put on your flange, AFTER you CAREFULLY determine the size of the hole, it must be snug, but have a little clearance.

I use a rigid type flange that is "convex".... again, get samples of both types to try.

Now, you have everything in place, why not write it down someplace...the date, the product used, etc...you can track the performance of the different products this way.

Now... WHAT are you EATING?? Eat several small meals/snacks and avoid large meals.... watch your fiber intake... eat high protein low fiber foods..that will satisfy your hunger and not cause excessive output. I avoid most grains...they also cause a lot of gas for me.

Please keep us posted of your progress, ask any questions, everyone here will help you.

Once you are more experienced, you may want to consider irrigation IF you qualify.... more on that later. Regards. MMsh
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,378 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Virgo

Try wearing a belt... I had the same problem and after 6 weeks, I was supplied with a belt and have not had any leaks since.

monty

Had the same problem when first installed with the nasty type of Velcro lock bag they first gave me. Nothing but leaking so I went to a close by medical supply place and he gave me a 2-piece system with a much bigger and softer flange and base. Now on a good setup, I can sometimes go 4 days between changes. Call around your local hospitals to find a REAL colostomy nurse. Our nurse is well known and has a county-wide reputation and worth her weight in gold. We have once
a month meetings and we all discuss our problems, and this really helps. Call EDGEPARK MED SUPPLY at 1-800-321-0591 for a catalog and free samples. BTW, a little 3M med tape around the edges of the base helps contain the leaks. Good luck, ol buddy, you will get there.

anansimann
Hey, Super Hero,
I really appreciate your detailed response to my question because I would really like to change every 4 or 5 days instead of 2 or 3 times a day.
I was not able to find the free samples for the leaking ring, but I did find out where I can buy them. I think that might be a viable option for me, so I can be free to do more.
Thanks - again!!

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
anansimann

Virgo,
I haven't heard about the belt. Can you tell me more about this belt? Where do I get it from? Is it from Hollister? Thanks!

mild_mannered_super_hero

Your welcome, someday you will "pay it forward" and be the one giving the advice.

Just so you know, I change my flange every 7-10 days with no problems...there is a mark for you to shoot for.

Hollister (Adapt Barrier Ring), and Convatec both market the "rings", Eakin was the first...so most call them "Eakin rings". In my instance, the ring doubles my wear time, your results may vary. Good luck...keep us posted.
bmeup
Wow, great responses here! I can't emphasize enough how important it is to have a clean, dry skin around the stoma before you apply the flange. I use the Bard Barrier Wipes after removing any residue from the previous flange and let the area dry before application. I am curious to know why your wife is doing this for you. Sometimes when we take over this type of personal care, we become much more conscientious, not to imply that your wife isn't, of course, but when you can do this for yourself, it is one little tiny bit of empowerment. And empowerment is key when it comes to coping with a stoma. Hang in there and just keep trying different things until you find one that works. Question---- what is your output like? If it is very watery, that could be causing problems. Also, really examine your stoma. Mine takes a little dip on the left side, and if I have a leak, that is where it comes from. All I really need to do in that situation is apply a little stoma powder there, and the problem is solved for the next go-round. Keep us posted and especially when you find one that works for you. Knowledge is power and becomes love when you share it.
Past Member

Something that I have discovered helps me is using a hair dryer after I place the wafer on my skin. The heat helps the adhesive stick better and I've gone from 3-4 days to 6-7 days using the Eakin rings and a hair dryer.

WOUNDED DOE
Hi and welcome to our community.....lots of great advice in here.....and definitely many excellent points brought up by mmsh...I hope some of those tips work for you....I'm sorry I don't recall reading if you have a colostomy or an ileostomy, sometimes (though not always) an ileostomy can be a bit more difficult regarding the leaking, only in the sense that many times the BM is more liquid and more acidic........I hope you find some relief and some comfort

~Doe
Primeboy

As always, you have received a ton of great advice here, Anansimann, and I have very little to add except one thing. I was reading JPeters' blog about deciding on getting a colostomy when he raised a very interesting question about where to locate the stoma. If it is not placed in the right spot, leaks can occur, particularly when pressure from sitting or bending is placed on the flange. You may want to get a second professional assessment of the flange placement if all other interventions remain ineffective. Good luck!         PB
StarUK

Like Virgo said, you should be able to get a belt from your stoma suppliers. Basically, on the two-piece systems, the base plate has two little loops that the belt hooks into. You can adjust the size of the belt because it's soft. And as someone else mentioned, if you get some elastic tape to reinforce the plate, that can be helpful. They come in half-moon shapes, and I use them for a backup if I have to travel anywhere or if I will be exercising.

anansimann

Monty,
I am using that "nasty type of Velcro lock bag" at this time. Thanks to all the fine advice from you all, I got my hands on some barrier rings, and now I am up to 1.5 days without a leak. I am expecting some convex flanges and a certified colostomy nurse in a couple of days. I am planning to stack the barrier rings on top of each other and see if that takes me up to 6 days of leak-free. Thanks for that phone number for Edgepark Med Supply!

anansimann

Dear Bmeup,
Thank you for your input! I believe that we are doing pretty good with the skin prep, that's why it is so frustrating when I still end up with a leak. My wife is helping me because I have a sigmoid colostomy and it is almost impossible for me to see down there to do what I need to do. I do drain the bag on my own, but I need help to change the bag, and she insists on helping me out of the love of her heart. We have been married for 27 years and she is hoping to keep me around a little longer. Thanks for your encouraging post. I also have dips. I have a dip on the right side and a smaller dip on the left side, and this is where the leaks usually take place, that is why I was planning to stack the barrier rings to level out the dips. I got some stoma powder. Thank you again!

anansimann

tbone333,
That hair dryer trick is very tempting to me; I'm just nervous about burning myself with it. Do you usually use multiple rings at the same time? Thanks!!

Captain Tact

I have to head out to work, so I will try and post more later, but if the hair dryer worries you, try a hand-held fan. Same theory as a hair dryer, but no heat!

Good luck...

texazgal

Another thought... glad the seals are working for you, but I would not stack them. I don't even use a whole seal at a time. Cut into thirds or fourths, roll into a snake, circle and connect the ends, then using the shiny side of the paper circles they come with (it sticks to the other side) press into a flattened ring about the thickness of the original ring. Place around stoma, apply the barrier without bag. Using q-tips or a small open bottle press around the stoma to seal the 2 together better. Then apply bag unless you are using one piece. These things are so expensive, I like to get more mileage out of them.

You might not be using a brand that your skin likes. I found this out when sampling the microskin product. Loved the way it felt when on, the clear part stuck very well, but the center adhesive just would not stick AT ALL. In no time, poo pushed under it and boom! a big leak. This happened with 2 of them from different batches. Conclusion... the chemistry just isn't there for us to be friends. Luckily other brands do work pretty well for me. Shop around and call companies directly for samples. They are all generous with samples, especially Coloplast.