Any tips on noisy stoma

In this discussion
Replies
Views
isabella

Hi all
Does anyone have any tips on cutting down noise from your stoma? Mine plays up sometimes and during meetings, etc. I find this extremely embarrassing. I did talk to my stoma nurse about this and she suggested charcoal tabs, but it had no effect. Any advice will be welcome.
Isabella

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,095 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

WAB
Hi there

Ask your stoma nurse if you are a candidate for irrigation... This solved my problem in many ways... As well, if you can do it, it will set you free completely... I take plane.. Eat in restaurants.. Anything I want. And well, if the doctor or nurse says you can do it, well you will be free from all hassles of having a stoma... No more bowel movements... Only when you want through irrigation... Hollister and other companies have the kit...
Ask your stoma nurse first or your doctor...

What I have found out is most doctors do not know of this procedure...

Good luck and inquire first..

WAB
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Past Member

Well, that is a ticklish subject. As suggested, irrigation will decrease "noise" output, as will avoiding certain foods before social situations (you will have to find which ones by trial and error). If all else fails and you have an "incident," just look at the fellow next to you and say, "Hey, do you mind...we are having a meeting here." LOL!!!

Past Member
That goofy nurse .... charcoal might help with stinky poo but not noisy poo. Heheee.

This is actually a problem many of us have. So many factors can come into play here, everything from diet to stress to how much air we swallow. Watch the bubbly sodas too. Embarrassing? Oh yeah!! LOL. As for me, I have tried everything and still get the unexpected occasional embarrassing noises too ... dang thing! You're definitely not in this alone hun.

A few days ago I was having dinner at my parents' home, the dining room was full of friends and family... I thought to myself, oh jeeeezzzz, this thing better not make a sound while I'm at the table or I'm gonna DIE... every time I felt my belly churn a little inside I put my hand over the stoma, casually, hoping to smother the little jerk if he started to talk but nothing happened... however... three others in the room blew us all away with their own little non-ostomy noises, including my poor, deeply embarrassed father who made a trumpet with his every step after he left the table. I'm surprised he didn't approach us with the "Here! Pull my finger!" joke. Hehee. So, you see... even though we have probs with our stoma noise, we shouldn't forget, we are not the only ones who do that.

Stomas can be little jerks. We can tape a bag over their head to smother them but they'll still give us crap!

~ WD
Past Member

Porridge for breakfast sometimes helps (but not always). I don't understand why it lets loose only in a quiet room!, like what the? Sometimes a hand/arm over it can muffle it when you feel one coming on (mine are preceded by a slight tummy rumble so I can sense the impending sonic boom!). I honestly don't think others notice as much as we do ourselves, also have never understood why it's also more acceptable for blokes to fart (in fact considered hilarious) but if a girl lets one rip its shock, horror! I wouldn't worry about it, no one will notice more than yourself!

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Ty

Hello to all, I've been on the sideline as far as responding to postings, but this one I wanted to make a comment. I've been told and tried marshmallows and that seems to work for me.

Past Member
Marshmallows!!    What a great idea!    ...yum!...    Thanks for sharing Ty!
junopete

It took me a year of constant variations to get the gas to a minimum.

Here are some ideas.

No pastry or bread, whole wheat and dark breads are the worst.

When you drink any liquid, tilt your head down and tuck your chin in towards your chest, this will help prevent swallowing air.

Veggies are out period.

Find a good probiotic that will work for you. I use Align

When you swallow, don't swallow air, this is a very common problem that people don't realize they are doing.

Drink lots of water.

The idea is to get your gut bacteria equal.

I found there is no shortcut. If you want to cut down the gas, it takes a lot of effort.

Remember if you have an ileostomy, that means your colon is not being used or is gone.
The colon, other than removing excess fluid from the waste and storage, also reabsorbs most intestinal gases except sulfur and methane. The colon also lets the veggies and grains digest. They will not digest much in the small intestine.

Rick.....

junopete
Sorry, I forgot. Activated charcoal does work for both gas and smell. The problem is to get it to work, you have to take 10 times the recommended dosage.
I was buying it in bulk as a powder. It's super messy to use, hard to mix, the black gets all over everything, and you will have the blackest stool this side of the Mississippi!
I did try the pills at first but soon discovered I was eating a bottle per day to get the stuff to work.
The experts say charcoal is body negative. That is to say it will not affect you because the body does not absorb charcoal.

So although I did benefit from charcoal, it was too big a "pain in the arse".

Rick.....
isabella

Hi all
Thanks for all your tips. I think I'll forget about the charcoal, but I sure will try the probiotics and the marshmallows.
Thanks for helping.
Isabella

niff

Hi Isabella, I recommend what WAB suggested. I find with the irrigation method, I can eat and drink what I want and the gas only occurs if I choose to irrigate later in the day than normal. So, if you do it regularly as clockwork, you may find you have little or no problem with this. I personally find that using this method also quiets these unwelcome outbursts considerably, almost to the point of silence. Hope this helps, Niff.

Mike

Somebody told me to carry a bunch of change in my pocket.  It does work but not all the time.

Past Member

I just remembered something else that helps gas for a lot of people ... my Dr. once told me to pick up Oil of Peppermint! (a liquid with eyedropper) His instructions were to use 10 drops in 2 oz of water, 3 times a day .... when I was cleaning out my purse today, I found his note from my last doctor's visit....glad I did. Went out and bought some.....

....along with two sacks of marshmallows!! LOL

facingmyfears
Hey Wounded Doe,

I've been meaning to tell you how much I enjoy reading your comments. I love your spirit!

And for goodness sakes, I happen to have peppermint oil in my pantry! Might have to give it a try.....I may just pass on the marshmallows, unless they're on a stick being roasted around a campfire.

Isabella, great topic...glad you brought it up!

Sharon
Past Member

Marshmallows!

Also, I find drinking after, not during, meals as the gulping can cause excess wind. Hot drinks also seem to encourage more noise for me. I have also found that not eating creates more noise, ditto hot food. Alas, I tend to eat a boring sandwich for lunch and have little problem.

If in the UK, Tunnocks Tea Cakes are okay and have milk chocolate on them.

travel

We are going on a cruise and boy does this stoma like to be noticed. It lets out a lot of noises, but seems more like when I am eating. Just trying to find something to help while on my cruise, wonder if Beano would help? Will ask my surgeon tomorrow when I see him.

travel

Hmmm, I can try marshmallow, but I am sure that will put some pounds on??? But worth a try.

klark

If I'm going to be out and about during the day, I don't eat until at least midday (noon). Just morning coffee. A small marshmallow and Beano also helps. That's what works for me.

WAB

They do sell something called a stoma stifler....they have a website...........................it is to suppress noise.........I never heard of anyone using it.....However..maybe you should check it out.........................