Tips for Pouch Wear: Extending Usage and Techniques

Replies
Views
Captain Tact
And what kind of pouch do people get the best amount of time out of? I realize that everyone's mileage (or kilometerage) is different, but for folks who are new and looking for tips to extend wear, this might help.

I have an ileostomy and use a Convatec one-piece drainable. I cut to fit, use two skin prep wipes and apply stomahesive around the opening. I do this just before going to bed....as a result, I typically get 6 - 8 days per wearing...

Does anyone have similar stories or techniques to help the new folks amongst us?
Past Member

I use Hollister wafer 14603 and either bags 18003 or opaque closed-end or mini pouches. If I use the Convatec Eakin seals, I get about 6-7 days. If not, maybe 5. And that's with working out, showers, etc.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,463 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

I use Coloplast Sensura Click (2-piece) with an Eakin seal. I cut it to fit. I also use Witch Hazel with every change.

I can get a good 5 days out of it.

Now that summer is coming, I am more likely to change 2x/wk, so my vote is sort of skewed.

Pintsize519
Hi Cap Tact,

I also use ConvaTec. I use the 2 pcs system. Sur-Fit Natura stomahesive flexible (125264) and Sur-Fit Natura drainable pouch (401507). I get a solid 6-7 days out of both. I shower every day (20-30 mins of a hot hot shower). I have never used tape or skin prep. Of course, during the summer with swimming or outside activities, I could change my system up to 3 times a week.
Sophie96

I can't believe you all get so many days out of your bags! I use a one-piece bag and I change it every day! I have an ileostomy, so the output is typically quite watery, and around the stoma, it always starts to wear away and need changing. Am I doing something to not make them last as long??? I have tried using the rings and paste around the edge, but I just can't get on with them! x

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Past Member

I don't know why, but I shower every day and for some reason, I get longer wear than if I shower less.

britathrt60
Hi Captain Tact

I use Convatec 2-piece. Flexible Flange 413183 and drainable pouch 401507. For the most part, I get 6 to 7 days out of it. I have an ileostomy, so I have a liquid output. Before changing, I wipe the whole area, including the stoma, with rubbing alcohol....it removes the adhesive and feels good.....then spray Cavilon skin protector....use stomahesive paste around the hole in the flange and put a bit of water on your finger to flatten the paste down. After placing the flange, press down the flange all the way around with your fingers....the heat from fingers helps seal the adhesive better....use fingers to press down around the stoma also. Before putting the pouch on, I blow some air into the pouch, wet a cotton pad, and rub around the flange seal and the pouch seal....it makes it easier to lock your pouch to your flange.....every couple of days, I pour lukewarm water into my pouch to rinse it out.
Past Member

Another Conva-Tec user here. 2-piece Durahesive Flexible with a convex insert and an Eakin ring, 10in. drainable pouches. I have an ileostomy. I work in the weather, so summer wear time can be anywhere from 3-4 days to as much as 7, but I keep a close eye on things and am constantly on the lookout (or feel, lol) for any deterioration. In winter/cool weather, they can go 7-10 days, but even though the wafer is still secure, the peristomal skin still needs to be cleaned, so I usually won't push past 7 days. As far as skin prep, I use Alkare adhesive remover wipes. I think they are citrus-based as opposed to many other products that use a petrol-based (or... GASSSSP alcohol.... ouch!!!!) solvent. They are much easier on my skin. Cleanup I do while showering and use a neutral soap such as Ivory or Dial orange. Moisturizers and perfumes are NOT your friend in the peristomal skin area, lol. Only use a protective wipe (Alkare again) if I have any skin irritation, which thankfully for me is rare (as long as I keep things up to snuff and clean). In my opinion, Eakin seals/rings have been a BLESSING in the amount of wear time and protection I get out of my equipment. They are expensive, yes, but priceless in the job they perform.

Past Member

I've never had good luck with one-pieces. I tried one last week again for the first time in months, and within three hours or so, it had a huge leak from the bottom. I don't understand either.
Supertwin2

I don't know how y'all get such long wearage either. I change at least 4 to 5 times a week. Around the stoma, it just doesn't stick, and I have such bad skin irritations. It's crazy, what's wrong with me? It won't stay stuck. I bought glue spray and everything. This just ain't for me. I can't get the hang of it. I've had it since March. This sucks, but I'm dealing with it. It's so much better than that pain I had before!

Snookis Mum
Hi Supertwin

You really need to go see a WOCN nurse. You shouldn't have this much trouble - there are a lot of products that you can use on sensitive skin, and different types of adhesive. Spray glue is probably the worst thing you can do for your problem. Call the hospital where you had your surgery and find out where to find a WOCN. Mine really helped me!
Sandi
Past Member

I agree, they should have gone through all that before you left the hospital.

Past Member

Yes, showering and changing are best at night. I get way more wear time. I think because I am not active at night and it has time to seal and set up real well. Not to mention that it's not moving around because of all the activities during the day. For me, I change everything or just shower, then sit in my recliner and watch TV until bedtime. When morning comes, it would have to get slammed in a car door and the car drive away to pull it off or leak. Just a thought.