Bladder pain after J-Pouch surgery - seeking advice

Replies
Views
rachel_louise

Hiya, I had an emergency colectomy last year due to UC. I decided to go for a J-pouch and had my rectum removed. The J-pouch was formed 3 weeks ago (I'll have takedown surgery in a few months). I'm recovering very well, no problems at all apart from really awful pain in my bladder when I go to the toilet. I've been on antibiotics in case I had a water infection from the catheter, but still no better! Did anyone else experience anything like this? I'm scared something may have been damaged in surgery :-/

Past Member

Hey, I have the same issue after each surgery. It's almost like your bladder is trying to pull down or something and it's really painful. Have you had a UTI test done? If not, probably a good idea because if you don't have one, then taking antibiotics would do no good. For me, it took about 1 to 2 months for the pain to go away. I hope it goes away faster for you. In the meantime, there is a medication called Pyridium that will make things a bit more comfortable for you. Beware though, it turns your pee bright orange. Kinda freaky but, it always helps me feel better until things actually heal.

C.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,442 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

rachel_louise

Thank you for replying! That's what it feels like, kind of pulling down pressure. It's horrible, isn't it! Not had a test done yet. Doc gave me antibiotics without a test, but if it continues, I'll go back and he will test me. Got an appointment next week. Hopefully, he will sort me out! Was yours a UTI or was it just from surgery? X

Past Member

Mine were always just from surgery - no UTIs. At least from what I can remember. But I do recall worrying like crazy that everything had been damaged and whatnot. It did eventually go away!!

monty

I'm a dude and just went through a rectal removal about 3 weeks ago. Lost all bladder control
and now my big ass wears diapers. I have a buddy who went through it all and we should be okay in 2 months. Good luck and just hang in there awhile longer. When I sit, I sure have some pain, feels like a tennis ball trying to fit where it can't.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
gabefoo

Rachel, do you have a Facebook or Instagram?

vanessavy

I have Interstitial Cystitis due to nerve damage from a stomach surgery I had back in 06. With my BCIR, it sometimes feels like my bowel irritates my bladder and makes it worse. Hard to explain. Anyway, IC (Interstitial Cystitis) can be misdiagnosed as a UTI. They feel the same. Might be something to talk to a Urologist about or Pain Management. I get nerve blocks, and it has helped.

bplad

Hi Rachel, I've had Crohn's for 20 years and had a pan-proctocolectomy a few years back, best thing I ever did. Recovery wasn't easy but was worth it in the end. How's your recovery going now?

Chirag

Hi...Rachel...I am Chirag from India having permanent ileostomy...I am looking for a soulmate...I am purely vegetarian...Please connect to my Facebook account by typing Chirag Sanghvi...And yours?