Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,316 members

The "F" word

Posted by Oceanblue, on Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:44 am
I think the F word is a great word to use in the appropriate company.  My Grand mother would have hit me over the head with her rolling pin if I used it around her home.
I have a list of famous people who used the F word which is stuck on my garage wall.

for example.....   Michael Angelo (painted the Chapel ceiling in Rome) may have said....You want Fn what on the ceiling.

The Mayor of Hiroshima......What the Fk was that.

General Custer.......Where the fk did all these Indians come from.

Sorry if I offended anyone.
Reply by three, on Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:03 am
A "f_ _ _ ing" etymology lesson:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/***
Reply by 61smiles, on Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:15 am
I grew up in a very strict religious home and had never even heard of the word before going into the military.  There it was used so often and pretty much in the same context as you mentioned so it seems as natural as anything to me. I don't think of it as a cuss word.  But nonetheless, I can't use it around a lot of people including most of my family and the like.  I was in the Service for nine years and had gotten so used to hearing the F word on a daily basis that when I left I was almost shocked to find how so many people were offended by it.  To my surprise even the word S**t was considered a bad word and that still doesn't make sense to me.  But then again some people, like my sister, are easily offended.  She won't allow me to use the word "pee".  She says boys pee but girls don't- they urinate.
Reply by Beaner, on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:13 am
This is one for the archives! I f-ing loved it! Humor is such a wonderful thing! Beaner
Reply by Beaner, on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:05 am
This is one for the archives! I f-ing loved it! Humor is such a wonderful thing! Beaner
Reply by Primeboy, on Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:50 pm

weewee wrote:
well the f word is what a lot of people like to do as much as they can and while they can then it applies to your work habits and daily living so in many different ways so its really not a bad word

I wonder if any of us ever used the "F" word in an employment interview and then managed to get hired. Just kidding. Apart from propriety, my primary issue with the "F" word is that it is used too much and without meaning. Maybe it would be better to just grunt instead. Still, at the end of the day, when all is said and done, I suppose you can take one thing to the bank: one man's garbage is another man's treasure. "F" away if it's your cup of tea.

PB
Reply by Immarsh, on Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:32 pm
Love the freedom of hearing the "f" word, in adult humor.....but try going into a local high school, and those 17 year olds wouldn't know how to speak without using "the" word, in all it's grammatical  variations.   Makes me think back more than 50 years ago...when uttering that word would have you in the principal's office....or worse.  Today...the theory is, as long as the kids are NOT saying  "it" to a teacher....it's okay...   Sigh...

Now.....here's my pet peve.....and it's not about the "f" word, which is reality.   It's the use of the word   "like"....and   "fun"...    Does anyone get irked when they hear...

It's "like" fun.....going to the beach...   Or  -   I'm "like" so happy!    My sister ( a high school English teacher) were trying to wipe that pattern out of our language....but it's pervasive...it's on the radio...on tv...even commentators are using it..

It's almost as bad as..   It's so fun!   What happened to "much"?    It's so much fun!

Now...isn't it "F----ing wonderful, that we have nothing "like" more important to do than talk about the way we "f----ing" talk.  or in this case write.  

PB  ---   Loved your line from the Honeymooners.....   yes...there can be talen without profanity...
Reply by patri, on Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:03 pm
IMMARSH WRITES:  "Now...isn't it "F----ing wonderful, that we have nothing "like" more important to do than talk about the way we "f----ing" talk.  or in this case write"

Yes! Yes it is WONDERFUL..sorry...f'ing! wonderful! that here we are with time and energy and LIFE and wellbeing to spare so much so that a conversation about conversation is something that can be used to enjoy a bit of communion and mingling in an obviously well working world and community. Moment of thanks to the powers that be, great point indeed!
Reply by iMacG5, on Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:30 pm
Wow, patri!  The word "profound" falls short of the accurate description of your thought. Sincerely. Mike
Reply by iMacG5, on Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:41 pm
Immarsh, I absolutely loved your reply.  Unfortunately I converse with about six people who cannot complete (and some begin) a sentence without the word "like".  Now,  it has reached
"EPIC"
proportions.  I only heard or read that word about sixteen times this week.
Respectfully,
Mike
Reply by Xerxes, on Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:49 pm
Hey PB,

correct me if I am wrong, but the derivation or origin of the "F" word goes back to the dutch who placed certain unsavory people in the stocks for public viewing and the inscription over the heads, the F word was an acronym for a perseon "For Un Carnal Knowlwdge." I think I read that somewhere or perhaps it was "Let Copulation Triumph".... no that was either King Lear or mayber CD. I will have to ask him.

X_
Reply by mild_mannered_super_hero, on Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:11 pm

Xerxes wrote:
Hey PB,

correct me if I am wrong, but the derivation or origin of the "F" word goes back to the dutch  

X_

cant say about the origin of the word itself... but here`s the interesting history of the middle finger salute

A bit of interesting history.
Subject: Plucking the Yew! Before the Battle of Agincourt in 1415, the French, anticipating victory over the English, proposed to cut off the middle finger of all captured soldiers. Without the middle finger it would be impossible for the English soldiers to draw the renowned English longbow and therefore incapable of fighting in the future. The famous bow was made of the English Yew tree and the act of drawing the longbow was known as "plucking the yew" or "pluck you". Much to the bewilderment of the French, the English won the battle and began mocking the French by waving their middle fingers at the defeated French and saying "We can still pluck yew. Pluck you". Since "pluck yew" is rather difficult to say, the difficult consonant cluster at the beginning has gradually changed to a labiodental fricative 'F' and thus the words often used in conjunction with the one-finger salute. It is also because of the pheasant feathers on the arrows used with the longbow that the symbolic gesture is known as "giving the bird". And yew thought that yew knew everything.
Reply by Xerxes, on Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:28 pm
MMSH,

Thank you for this very interesting Fact. I have always been interested in the origin of what now is of general acceptance and often 'colorfu' usage.

X_
Reply by Primeboy, on Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:48 pm
Hi X and MMSH. This surely is etymology's Finest Hour on the Ostomate Forum! Unfortunately, there is little academic consensus on the origins of the "F" word. You both might be right; but, X, I am glad you will check with Jack, given today's emphasis on primary sources.

As Martha Stewart loves to say, "You can learn something new everyday."

PB
Reply by bubby, on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:28 pm
You are the coolest. I 100% agree with the whole thing and get it.       regards, EX- Ostomate in brotherhood always, Jay    by the way,,,,,,,,,,,,,, F--- _ it   !!!!!!!!!!     LOL!
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.