Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,247 members

Anyone out there with fistula problems?

Posted by Bobo, on Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:56 am
Anyone have or have had problems with fistulas?
Got one on my small intestine and one on my large. Have had surgery on the one on my large intestine twice but with no success. The one on my smallintestine is a stoma surgery gone bad, switching from an Ileostomy to Colostomy. Is there anyone out there with similar problems?
Reply by sierragoldie, on Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:03 pm
I had three surgically caused fistulas and have just completed the fourth reconstruction surgery (at Stanford) to repair them.  Nightmare.  

Try to be calm and trust that you and your doctor can work through the problems one by one.   Be thankful for the support you have from friends and family.  Communicate with God.  Rest.
Reply by janice, on Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:32 pm
ive had a fistula between my bladder & urethra for almost two years.  It's annoying (incontinence, passing air thru my urethra).  Docs say they could operate but it's like "cement down there" so...i'm just putting up with it.  There's a greater risk of infection & risk of bowel comming out my urethra but so far so good.
Reply by Bobo, on Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:39 pm
Wow, three! Im very intersested to know how they did the surgeries and were they are? Maybe there is another way of doing it. They dont want to redo the surgery on one of my fistulas because of scar formation.  Im thinkin of meeting a doctor in the US.
Thanx for your respond and reassuring words. Smile

sierragoldie wrote:
I had three surgically caused fistulas and have just completed the fourth reconstruction surgery (at Stanford) to repair them.  Nightmare.  

Try to be calm and trust that you and your doctor can work through the problems one by one.   Be thankful for the support you have from friends and family.  Communicate with God.  Rest.
Reply by Bobo, on Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:42 pm
Ihope it all will work out for you and that you wont have any other complications in the future.
Good Luck Smile

janice wrote:
ive had a fistula between my bladder & urethra for almost two years.  It's annoying (incontinence, passing air thru my urethra).  Docs say they could operate but it's like "cement down there" so...i'm just putting up with it.  There's a greater risk of infection & risk of bowel comming out my urethra but so far so good.
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.