Imagine Starting Your Day This Way!

Replies
Views
gutenberg
Before chainsaws were invented, the logging industry in the United States Canada was a seriously challenging occupation and we are only talking about 125 years ago. In the Pacific Northwest there were forests full of monster trees and cutting them down was done by hand.

Hollowed out logs became the company's mobile office.

And now we work to save them, a lot easier than cutting them down
Back then, Ed
monty
What a shame, thank the lord there are some left for future generations.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,358 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Primeboy
Wow! What great pics, Ed. They were giants in those days, not just the magnificent monster trees but also all those rugged loggers in the Pacific Northwest who risked life and limb in pushing the boundaries of civilization. It wasn't often that they got their due credit, but I found a hymn to their heroic service beautifully delivered by another Monty many years ago. Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zey8567bcg
christiesdad
Kinda reminds me of some of the weeds in my back yard!
gutenberg
Hey Jack, best you get a couple of lumberjacks to mow your lawn, Ed

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Mrs.A
Wow, are there any more of these type of trees still standing/growing somewhere still today???
Would be sad to think we destroyed them all...
Xerxes
The things we did and do in the name of "progress."

X_
Past Member
those are just seedlings there ! Believe me we still have plenty here and we always plant more then we harvest... In all things we grow here, We have Cannabis the size of TREES here too. My dad logged when he got out of Korea and I remember his arms being as big as those tree limbs lol It's very beautiful here and in BC !! Thanks for sharing your pic's love that stuff I have some great prospecting pics from then ! Monte Cristo
nick sands
the fact we had to saw manualy probably why we still exsist had had the power we would have cut them all down and we would be buying o2 to survive
autumndreamr
If you've ever been through the California Redwood Forest you'll have seen some enormous trees like that. In my family it's a tradition to stop at the Trees of Mystery tourist site and get a picture of each child sitting on Paul Bunyan's boot, there. When I was first married, my husband at the time was in the Army and we were enroute to Georgia from Washington. We stopped so I could take a picture of him (he's 6'4") standing in front of one of the redwoods, and he was ludicrously dwarfed by the size of the trunk. I hope that no-one ever is allowed to cut down any of those trees.
gutenberg
Nick, you have a great point there, the genes these people passed down for future generations is what brought us to where we are today, as long as we don't screw it up anymore than it already has been, Ed
Xerxes
autumndreamer,

Yes, they are beautiful! I have seen them. It is a sight to behold.

X_
mild_mannered_super_hero
excellent reply. before anyone breaks out in tears....i would remind you that wood is a NATURAL RENEWABLE RESORCE. most species of wood has a finite quotlife span quot; before disease or parasites kill it. it is a resorce, there is nothing wrong with quot;harvesting quot; trees.
practically speaking it would be unprofitable to cut such a large tree today , the resorces needed to move the log to mill nbsp; nbspand then process it would negate any gain from its giant size. most trees harvested today would be about 20-30 year growth, a good trade off in terms of ease of processing and net yeild.
KennyT
Sumatra and such??
Primeboy
Ecology was not yet invented as a science when many of us old-times were struggling back in grammar school, but a lot of us learned to further appreciate the beauty and value of trees through classroom poetry memorization. I bet some of you remember Joyce Kilmer, WWI poet and soldier, who penned a famous poem entitled "Trees." Here is a musical rendition of it from another great of bygone days:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqt2aHI_exU
mild_mannered_super_hero
for those of us who dont know mr kilmer.... a link to his bio an the written poem pb mentioned... nbsp; nbsp;good one prime

http://www.firstworldwar.com/poetsandprose/kilmer.htm
jodie
Yes, I remember the poem "Trees". I had too recite it in elementary school, it's a wonder I still remember. LOL. The pictures were awesome!! Thanks for sharing. Also, remember seeing the "Redwoods", in Caif. Very impressive.
gutenberg
I'm back folks, being the dummy I am I forgot to include this picture of the inside of the office, the office on the back of the truck. I think they let loose a few woodchucks to see how much wood a woodchuck could chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood, ah the hell with it, I forget how that went anyway. Just be wary of the kids asking you to build a tree house, Ed

gutenberg
Easter Island without the eggs. Where have all the Eggheads Gone. . . . .
christiesdad

Take this as a kidding, I remember us kids in grammar school changing some of the lyrics to " I think that I shall never ski, I'd hate to ruin a lovely tree!"

Jack

gutenberg
Funny thing Jack, I remember that little rhyme as a youngster and I'm not nearly as old as you!!!!
Anonymous, hehe