Help! How can I stop the puffy gas problem?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
yaya

Sometimes my bag gets so big with gas that it looks like I have a beached whale under my slacks or panties... What can I do, other than not eating (I eat everything), to stop the puffy bag problem? Thanks all. YAYA

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,099 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Mrs.A

Hummm, what kind of bag do you wear? One piece or two? Do you have a filter or no? Does it happen all the time or certain times? It sometimes has to do with the foods you are eating. Some, as you probably know, are very gassy like cabbage (which I love), onions, and others. There might already be a thread on this topic, but I think we would need a bit more information to give a better answer.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Anoniem18

I use a two-piece system and when there is too much gas, I open the top of the bag from the flange. But you have to be careful that the bag doesn't come off the flange. I found the filters useless and don't bother with them. One-piece systems require that you empty the bag. Loosening the top of the bag from the flange should be done outside, away from other people to avoid embarrassment.

Ed
Past Member

I just released the gas, either from the top (I use a two-piece) or from the bottom (I use a drainable).

weewee

Your gastrologist has a good list of things that will help make things a little faster for you and also Google. Some things affect each person differently. About the only other way to control how much gas you have is to see what gives you the most gas first. So, eating one thing at a time to find out is one of the easy ways. Then you have Beano, which helps with gas. I like the liquid one the best; it acts faster. I would drop 8 drops straight on my tongue and about ten minutes it would start to work for me. Good luck on this journey. I have a very low fiber diet and no veggies; gas is minimal. But the more I do, the more gas I make. Also, there are many things that still cause gas.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
mild_mannered_super_hero
I would add, cut out grains and cereals...you will be surprised how little gas you'll have. I know that it's hard to go without them....but you can save those for when gas isn't a problem. Do you have an ileo or colostomy?
Snookis Mum
Hi Yaya

I think most of us have gas problems at one time or another. I certainly do. I use a one-piece pouch, but I attach an Osto-EZ-Vent to the top of it, so I can let the gas out at any time - in my car, in my office, absolutely no problem. (Of course you have to use a good deodorant in the bag). Their website is www.kemonline.com and they will send you a free sample. I think it is a lifesaver!
Sandi
Mrs.A
Hi Sandi,
Thanks for the website. I have found the ostomy vent sometime ago but never really wanted to put out the money until I heard from others who have used it. I am glad to hear about them sending out free samples and will give them a try.
Snookis Mum

It is covered by my insurance.

monty

If you have 1 piece bag, would it be possible to put a real small hole in the top and cover it with tape and release the gas and put the tape back on. We are warriors and will find a way, by hook or crook.

Mrs.A
Hey Monty,
Why not, sounds like a good idea. You would have to make sure the tape will hold depending on how often you have to take it off and on. Also, you have to make sure that the tape doesn't make the hole any larger when you do pull it back. If the link I am providing doesn't show up, just type in quietpouch.com.
I found this interesting link called the Quiet Pouch:
monty

I know this sounds weird but I'm sure duct tape will work if it's a good brand. I'm thinking a hole no bigger than pencil lead, when full just gently apply pressure and when deflated apply a 1" piece of tape. If the tape looks like it may tear the bag then just poke another hole through the tape too. Then just apply another slightly bigger piece of tape on top of the old tape. Boy, the things we have to go through, huh? Good luck.
britathrt60

I have had an ileostomy for 15 years....oh yes sometimes my pouch fills up with so much air I literally have to hold it on and rush to the bathroom to let air out. I use a 2-piece system, so I can release the air by removing the clip. I find it gets bad during the night, so I never seem to go into a deep sleep for fear of it blowing off, which it has done on more than one occasion. Yuk!!!! Even scrambled eggs create a lot of gas for me. It sometimes sucks to be us, huh!! But at least we are alive and kicking. LOL.

dsmithsc91

First off, I wanted to second what MMSH said about eliminating grains. When I avoid them, gas is greatly reduced. I've also tried poking a little hole in the top of the bag to let gas escape when I'm out for a run or bike ride. It worked really well. What didn't work well is the tape failed to stop the smell from getting out when I was back home after the workout. I used the pink waterproof tape, so maybe duct tape would work better.

Dave

Tag65

I found that most of my gas issues come from an imbalance of the fauna and flora in my gut. For some reason, a week of taking a regular dose of Flagyl completely clears up the issue. To get rid of day-to-day gassiness, I just avoid the gas-producing veggies like broccoli and cabbage like everyone else.

mild_mannered_super_hero
Hey, somebody agreed with me... I'm not sure that has ever happened before on this forum....
Primeboy
I agree with you, MM.
moonshine

I have found that carbohydrates - like pasta, bread, rice - will produce a lot of gas in the bag... And I am Italian... I also try not to eat past 6 pm... and empty several times before bedtime.

yaya

I haven't been on the site for a while and I'm overwhelmed by the suggestions, advice, websites, and helpfulness. I love you guys... I will try all the suggestions and see if I can't work through this... Bad thing is I am a carb junkie who loves a carbonated beverage once in a while.. ManoMan, I guess I am going to have to be more diligent on my diet routine. Thanks all. xoxoxo Jody