Did anyone have lasting stoma pain?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Slow momma

I was just wondering how long to expect stoma pain? It hurts in that area plus about a 4-inch area around it. It's worse when I sit up. I had my first stoma just over 3 months ago. My new stoma site has been there for around 3 weeks. Thanks for any info. Have a blessed day. Barbara.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,090 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill
Hello Barbara,

I was a little unsure as to whether I should reply to your post as my own experience of this  is still ongoing and sometimes a bit disconcerting. I've had pain around the stoma area from day one but I think it's down to a hernia that sits more or less behind the stoma but slightly to the left. However, counter-intuitively, most of the tenderness and pain is on the right where there is no swelling.  I don't take too much notice of this pain as my brain can only take so much and I have worse pains elswhere that seem to diminish the effect of this one. It's only when they recede in intensity that this one bothers me more.  I've come to the conclusion that pain is as much psychological as it is biological because if I focus attention on one pain it becomes much worse and diminishes the efects of the others.  This has the advantage of me being able to have a break from one in favour of another.I find that having wind that can't escape out of the stoma tends to be quite painful and concerning -- before it finally escapes I imagine all sorts of things that might be going wrong inside ---then, the pressure is released and I realise that it's just wind.

I penned a poem about it a few years ago called 'the lump that's killing me' which is on one of my earlier blogs.

Best wishes

Bill
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
patri

I had a skin infection that is "common" after abdominal surgeries that hurt the skin and deep inside. I felt like something was going to break within me and actually needed an ambulance to go to the hospital by the time I sat up and paid attention and realized whatever it was, it was serious. Antibiotics cleared it up, but it eats the skin and connective tissues, so it is something to watch out for because we need those to get closed up and heal with!

If it is that and it gets bad, it goes from pain to unbearable pretty fast, especially if something shocks or upsets you, which at that time something actually did. I think I'd have been healing up fine otherwise.

I get it about wondering if I should even be out talking to others, posting here for example; I get that with a laugh. I'm half out my head I've noticed; my math doesn't add up, my recall of time and sequence is up for question, at least in my head....but MOST of the time I'm glad I'm alive and am actively either feeling good or doing the things that I know will, if I keep at it, restore me to feeling good. Sometimes it is just a matter of hanging in there and going through the motions anyhow and counting on your fellow humans to play with the best of you and let the confusion and plethora of emotions kinda sort out through time and settling in and coming back into a feeling of well-being and quality of living and expectation of life in this world. When the instinct to play...when the feeling of playfulness and just quiet contentment is something that is felt periodically through the day, for me that's when I know I'm at my best, even if my details may have gone a bit astray. At this point in my life, I don't claim to be an expert in much anyway.

Past Member
My surgery was just over a month ago. For me, the only pains near the area were signs of fecal on skin that I was able to clear up shortly thereafter.

You reported swelling just 3 days ago. Has the pain developed since then? If yes, yes, I think those are good reasons to contact your surgeon and consider an ER visit. For me, early coordination has proved important. If he or she judges the situation serious, that input may get you the attention you need faster than if you just walk in. Again, if the pain has followed the swelling or begun about the same time, I hope you don't try to ride this one out without qualified medical advice.

A good stoma powder, I like ConvaTec's after cleaning may help, but I think you know these things. I've only a month of experience, and that's with a colostomy.

Kind regards.
marisa.s

I had pain post-surgery for quite a long time. My pain was more of a pulling pain around the stoma and surgical area.

I am 11 months out and still get that sense of pulling from time to time but nothing like the first few months.

If you are concerned about the pain, you should contact your WOCN or surgeon - even if just for peace of mind.

Keep in mind you just had major surgery and your insides have to heal...

Best wishes, Marisa

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister