Disability

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Frenchie55
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone out there has ever applied for pension disability because of the ostomy? These leakages at work are driving me crazy.

Janice
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,086 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

musicboxx

Hi Janice, I have a colostomy for 2 years now. I am receiving disability, as it was considered along with osteoarthritis in my case at the hearing. I knew from my attorney immediately. Everyone gets turned down the first time, then got my attorney. It was worth it to me, because I just got to where I was missing, and couldn't make a living... Good luck stick with it!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Frenchie55

Do you live in Canada? What was your argument regarding the ostomy?

gutenberg
Hi Frenchie, I live just up the road from you, Antigonish, I think you heard of it. Anyway as to any pension first thing I would suggest is to get hold of a disability form for a disability deduction for your income tax, now this is one mean sucker to get but it can be done, you can get a form from anybody that does income tax returns. And now the tricky part, you need help with your colostomy/ileostomy and it takes a lot of your time to get dressed and if you have any arthritis that would help, also you need a good doctor and remember you need help at times in changing your flange/pouch that is important, and if it takes you longer to do things because of your ostomy you got to get that on the form also, and you need help getting in and out of the bathtub Once you get that form filled in its quite a wait but there is also the Canada pension disability you could apply for, but if you're still working that could be a problem and here again you need a doctor who will understand that this ostomy is causing you too much grief so you have to get a form from Canada pension disability, any Canada pension office would have them on hand and when you start filling these forms in go for everything that ails you and get in on a form and make copies to keep for yourself. But, and there's always a but, it really helps if you have a good understanding doctor, I practically had to force mine to sign off on the Tax deduction one and that is usually the hardest one and if you get past that one the Canada Pension Disability is pretty much the same thing. So I suggest you do some checking as to where you would get these forms, if you have an Access Nova Scotia Office handy it would be a good place to start. I'm just pulling this stuff out of my head as its been about 7 years since I went through all that crap. If you have any questions you would like to ask me you could use the internal mail here and anything I can do to help be assured I will, and good luck, Ed