Need to find some to talk to

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Lukeeo
I am 19 I've had a bag since I was 3 days old and I've never met anyone my ages with one what's the best way to meet people my age with a bag ??
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,086 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Sophie96
Hi there, Im 22 and ive only had my bag since last year. Like you, Id like to meet people my own age but am having some trouble! I went to my local support group and the next youngest person was about 40! But I would say try and see if theres any local support groups round near where you live, it might be worth going to one and there might be some younger people at yours! If not, then you still get to talk to other people who have a bag and seeing as youve had yours for so long, might be able to offer them some help.
If all else fails, you can always come on here and talk to people!!

Sophie x
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Past Member
i'd prob'ly be one of those 40 year olds if i ever went to my local support group. next month will be 3.5 years with my colo.
Sophie96
hi sinfulsot, that wasnt meant to be offensive to older people so im sorry if it came across that way!! I just meant there wasnt anyone my age!! x
firedup
Hey Sin, I'd be one of those "over 50's" in a group. I do understand the younger ones wanting to meet people their own age. I was one of the youngest in my first group too and I was 35 when I got my ostomy. I would like to say this to the young people: we older folks do have a lot to offer unless it's a date you want, then you're shit out of luck with us....lol. Good luck.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Sophie96
ha ha I wasnt looking for a date! and I did enjoy talking to other people with an ostomy but older people obviously have a different view to it all then someone my age and it would be nice to meet someone of my age face to face rather then just on the internet but cant seem to find anyone in my area!
Mrs.A
Well Sophie don't give up and try to go to support groups within your area. There are other sites for meeting folks too. Here are just two to name a few:

http://www.ostomyland.org/ostomyboardipb/index.php?

https://www.ostomy.org/forum/index.php
ron in mich
hi luke if you go to uoaa.org they have a young adults section, you might be able to find other young ostomates there. good luck
firedup
I do hope you find some other young adults to talk with and meet. I was joking about the date. Good luck Sophie. Take care, Gail....firedup
firedup
Good luck to you as well Lukeeo. I've talked with quite a few younger people on this site. I hope you get to meet some of them. Take care.
Past Member

none taken. i should have expanded on my own expectations to be the youngest at my group as well, were i to attend a support group near me. I didn't have to face an ostomy in my 20's, but i can imagine what it would be like at that age and seeing folks 25+ years older for quot;peer support quot;.

Now i am quot;middle aged quot;, so it's a lot more relative. As in how younger or older is so amp;so. Then there is always the noob/vet factor...
christiesdad
I am so sorry.
It just never occurred to me that some one your age would even have this problem. Although I have heard of those who had "the bag" since childhood, I never gave a thought to them not being able to communicate with someone their own age. Now I understand your issue and empathize with you.. Don't despair though, as I am sure there are souls here for you to communicate with. They may just be to shy. But now that you have brought the subject up, others may post. I hope so, I know that us "old codgers" don't sometimes communicate with the younger folk to well and I am sorry for that. Hang I there and good luck

Jack
mara727
Hi, I have heard that its hard to find young people in the support group. In NY, the president of the group said that its because, if a young person comes once, they wont return. Then the next week another young person comes in. I agree, its so important to find a young persons support group. I'll be at the UOAA next month. I'll try to round up as many young ones as I can and maybe we can start a support group for 15-25. Does that sound good?
Sophie96
Hi Mara, that sounds like a good worthwhile thing to do but me and lukeeo are in england! ha ha Ive been thinking for a while about talking to my stoma nurse about trying to start up a group for younger people in my area so I might have to stop being lazy and do it! x
Past Member
There are support groups in UK for younger people, I can't put any links on here they will be removed, your stoma nurse should be able to give you them....or if you search on Google..I had mine when I was 19, there was no internet in those days lol, I went to a support group and was the youngest one there by a long way, someone asked me if I was an ostomist, me being me lol turned round and said 'nah I'm a bag man' they all turned round and looked at me in horror lmsuao.
Past Member

Nice.
dragon2
Hello everyone
My son Grifin is having major own times. He is not a ha. y boy, at would age of 10. I would nearly call him depressed.. he wants to fit in with class mates but just . nt seem to do it, he is now saying i normal want to be normal mum, '"WHY DO I HAVE TO HAVE A BAG?",its not fair mum,it breakes my heart break but we had to because he was so sick since birth, he has no nerves in his large intestine, so no nerves ment no muscle to push the poo out, he is at the age where he does not care if, his bag is coming off
He wont check to see when going to the toilet
He will pretend hes washed his hands after emptying his bag
He will cry and say" i cant " if i lay out the stuff he needs to do to do his bag and then in the end, i cave in and help him.
He get exchusted very easily,
He does not now when he is hungrey, we try to give him snacks every 2 hrs,
HE IS NOT DOING VERY WELL AT SCHOOL AND HAS JUST GIVEN UP, i cant get him to read or write,

HELP WHAT DO I DO?,
HIS COMMENT THIS MORNING WAS IM JUST STUPID
WITH A BAG AND IM THE ONLY ONE ROUND HERE WITH ONE AND EEVERYONE ELSE CAN READ AND WRITE AND I SUCK!!!!!
HE IS BEING REALLY PHYICAL TOWARDS ME AND VERBAL{YELLING AND SHOUTING)! HE SEEMS REALL ANGRY AT HIS SELF
dragon2
IT WAS SURPOSE TO BE MAJOR LOW TIMES, SORRY
HELP ME GRIFINS MUM
GRIFFIN IS 9 NOT 10 OH WHAT A LONG DAY
PLEASE HELP
Primeboy
Dragon, I think any pre-adolescent with an ostomy would have a difficult time coping with his or her situation as body image is so important. I think he would benefit greatly from knowing that there are many young people all over the world dealing successfully with the same issue. You will find some of their testimonials on this website. I have also seen some great personal presentations by young people on Youtube. Your son wants to "fit in" and this is necessary for his development. If he can have some exposure to other young folks with ostomies, he might have a smoother journey into adulthood. Best wishes.

PB
BK1940

Irrigation, that's the answer...........

Mrs.A

Hi Grifin's Mum,

Nine is not an easy age for any young person. There are many support groups in my area for folks with a bag. Have you searched for any that you could go to? Do you still keep in contact with the doctor's office? What to they say? I think BK has a good solution but you would need to get Grifin prepared and he needs to understand completely what irrigation is about. I also agree with Prime because if he met boys about his age he might learn how important is stoma is and why he has it. He would also learn that he can do EVERYTHING a "normal" boy can do. I sure hope you can find a group for him very soon so he doesn't have to feel so sad.

I will keep you both in my prayers.

Mrs.A

http://www.australianstoma.com.au/index.php/about-us/support-groups

https://www.facebook.com/AOSGP/

http://www.healthpoint.co.nz/national-patient-support-groups/national-patient-support-group/federation-of-new-zealand-ostomy-societies/

http://www.ostomycanterbury.org.nz/