Hernia under stoma

Replies
Views
blueeyes52
Please can someone help me I'm in pain I got out of the hospital Tuesday the 23rd because I have a hernia under my stoma I have an ileostomy and I have been in the hospital 3 Times now and I am very sore from throwing up and this hernia is sore. I am going to have surgery August 5th I changed my wafer and bag cuz I had a burning pain and my stoma is swollen and it is sunk in where I can get a good hold and when I push to try to get to seal it hurts really bad. Should I put an ice pack on it. Please can anyone know what I can do. :'(

Any suggestions.
PatinPickering
Hi there! My original (cancer) surgery was September 1990 so I've worn my colostomy appliance for over 22 years. Since 2007, I'd been having annual colonoscopies, so, I've developed quite a relationship with the same surgeon. In 2007, after suffering through numerous blockages he decided that a para-stomal hernia was the source of my problem. We discussed moving the colostomy to the other side (the peristomal skin around my site was a mess but we decided to maintain as much of the remaining colon as possible. So, in November'07 he did a stomal revision and hernia repair. It didn't fix the problem so, in July 2010 he referred me to a surgeon who specializes in laproscopic surgery (using mesh). It took 3 surgeries to get it done (final was May 2011) but the result is spectacular! These surgeries were in Friday morning and home at noon on Saturday.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,316 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.