Hernia

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Verdun

Can anyone tell me how a hernia feels like after stoma fitted and what pain it causes?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,091 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

latina63

Well, it will definitely protrude somewhat, especially if it is on your belly. I had 3 when I got my reversal 10 months ago. They repaired them at the same time, but one has come back right in the middle of my tummy. It does bother me (bloated, pain), and I will eventually have to have surgery again, which I am not too happy about.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Bill
Hello Verdun.  I suspect that hernias are like most other things surrounding the subject of stomas in that everything is likely to be different for each of us in terms of physical manifestation as well as the pain and how we feel about it.  My own stomatic hernia ( I have others elswhere) is right behind the stoma and seems to migrate across the exit tube blocking it completely at times.  This causes all sorts of pain with the build up of gas and or feaces behind it. However, normally it is just a background pain, unless I touch the area where it is and then it is a bit sore. One of the many problems I envisage with surgery, is that everytime it becomes necessary, it makes those parts of the body weaker than they might have been without it. Thus, it leaves us even more prone to such things as hernias.

I've invented all sorts of gadgets to alleviate  the main problems with my own hernia but many of them didn't work so I won't share them here. Also, one or two involve more risks than I would care to suggest for others to try.  There is one fairly harmless device I made which fits very closely around the stoma and is about 1cm thick and held on by an elasticated belt . It does seem to help but it took many hours of trial and error to get it just right for me. I do also use a hernia belt ( from CUI international) that I can adjust, which I feel might help to prevent other hernias occuring but it doesn't do a great deal for the one that's already there.

I hope these comments are helpful   Best wishes  Bill
Verdun

Thanks all for the advice. It has helped me.