Need help controlling bag odor!

In this discussion
Replies
Views
panhead511
Hey everyone, what's up? This is the first time that I have been on here in a long time. I have had numerous medical issues that took up all of my time the past year. It really has been nerve-racking. The question that I have is, how do you control the smell from the bag? What I mean is, no matter what I seem to do, the smell seems to come out around the wafer and bag. I can put on a new one and within minutes, I have an odor coming from it! I have no poop in it. I have tried everything that I can think of to eliminate it. I have a good seal, so no problem with leaks, but it sometimes smells kind of bad around me if you know what I mean. I am a very clean person and this makes me feel like I'm not showering or something! I can't stand it anymore. I don't like to go out in public anymore, and I am embarrassed to even be around my loved ones due to this. I don't want them to have to smell it. It really has restricted my lifestyle, and I really like to be social and go out. So I hope that maybe someone out there could please give me some advice on how to manage this. Oh, by the way, I don't like to use anyone's bathroom either. Please help, thanks.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,107 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

beatrice

You feel there's a smell even when there is no poop in a clean bag? Just wondering ... you talk about other medical issues. Could it be a body odor coming from you (not necessarily the stoma/bag)? You know how heavy garlic eaters release the smell through their pores ... maybe something like that? Just a thought.

Also, are you being ultra-sensitive to the possibility of smells? Is there someone close to you who you could ask about this? "Stand here ... do you smell anything?"

For me -- Hollister m9 drops work nicely -- and I use them occasionally.

Find that smell really isn't an issue for me. That said ... when I eat fish or beef ... the smell when emptying is much stronger than other times.

I'd check with your ET nurse to see if they have any ideas.

All the best.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Past Member

I can totally sympathize with you. I too had major medical issues last year and was in the hospital or rehab for all but 3 months out of 2012. I don't know that this has anything to do with the odor, but I don't like using anyone's bathroom either as I don't feel it's fair to stink it up, especially if you are in a mixed company situation. I am going to try One Drop, which another Ostomate recommended. She said you can get it at Walmart in the cleaning section and hanging on one of those strips they put items on. I'm going there today to see if I can find it.

Unfortunately, I also have an issue with pancaking, which causes a whole other problem, and my stoma is close to my waistline, so it helps cause that situation.

I am so sorry you are having such issues - should you maybe consider talking to an ostomy nurse about it? I have not consulted one but may consider it in the future just based on all the social issues involved.

Hang in there!
Judi

djcwiley

Take something internal like Chlorella. It definitely works and it requires less maintenance because every time you change your pouch you have to add the deodorant.

Also, I really have a strict diet and stay away from foods that cause odor. I know it requires discipline but it will reduce your anxiety.

Debra

panhead511

Thank you for your quick response! At this point, I am willing to try anything. I would really like to know the foods that might minimize this problem. I have lost over 75 pounds so discipline isn't a problem for me. At times, my anxiety level is through the roof because of this! I will try the chlorella. Where do you get it? Is it over the counter? I hope that all is well with you also. Take care.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
panhead511
Hey crazybat13, how are you? I hope that all is well with you also. I was reading your post the other day and we have the same problems and I can also sympathize with you. When I heard that someone mentioned one drop, it drew my interest also. Does it go in your pouch? I would think that it would. I am going to Walmart next week, so I will check it out. People on here have good advice and are sympathetic with our situations! No matter what it is, they will take the time to answer your questions! I am so thankful for this site!! Some also replied that eating meat and fish may cause a smelly poop. Hehe.. Like I said before, it happens even though I have no poop in the bag. I do put tape over the filter, and it seems to help at times. I also feel that filters are garbage and they don't work as well as they should. I feel that they let out the poop smell and not the gas! That is just my take on it. As for pancaking, have you tried Adapt lubricating deodorant? It works well as far as lubrication, not too great for deodorant. Well, once again, thank you for your advice. I hope that you are doing well also. Take care and have a good day!
panhead511
Hi Beatrice, how are you today? I hope that all is well with you. Thank you for your reply on my post. The problem is the smell coming from the bag or wafer. I have a good seal, so there's no leaks, and it happens when there is no poop in the bag. At times, it is stronger than other times, but all the same, it is a problem. I have tried the M9 drops, and it does mask it a little. I also eat meat and fish, and I know that meat tends to digest a little slower than other foods. I tend to have more gas after eating steak or a good roast. I don't know if that is the cause or not. Someone else replied that a strict diet that she was on helps her. Hopefully, she can tell me what foods she eats to minimize the smell. One thing about this site is that everyone has products that they stand by, and what works for them may not necessarily work for someone else. I am willing to try what I can to make my life a little better and less stressful. Once again, thank you for your input on my situation! Take care and have a good day also.
marisa.s
Hi there. With regard to foods that should be avoided for odor - broccoli, cabbage, fish, beans, and any food that has an odor prior to being ingested usually causes an odor on the way out too.

Some foods that help with odors are yogurt, buttermilk, mint, and cucumbers (if you can digest them).

Some folks take something called Devron - you can find it on Amazon. It's a pill you ingest rather than something you put into the bag. A lot of folks swear by it.

I stay away from pouches that have filters - find that once they get wet they fail horribly. There may be odor seepage from the filter.

I also find that I think I smell poo but it's just me that smells it - I have asked family and friends, and they say they don't smell anything, and believe me, they would tell me if there was an odor.

Be well, Marisa
panhead511
Hi Marisa. Thank you for replying to my post. I really appreciate it! I have tried Devrom in the past and I can't recall if it helped me or not. It was so long ago. I noticed that once I covered the filter with tape, it cut down the smell a lot. I will also try to cut down on the foods that have an odor already and see if that helps. Since we have bags, we tend to smell it more because it is on us all the time. Even the slightest of odor bugs us!! I know it really bugs me. So thank you for your advice and I hope that you have a great day and I hope that all is well with you also! Take care...
itchy22

Yes. The very same thing was happening to me. I would shower (carefully), put on a new seal and bag, and there it was. STENCH. I got hold of some "AXE" spray body deodorant and voila, no more stench... for a few hours anyway. Give it a whirl.

panhead511

Hey itchy22, what's up? It is good to know that I am not the only one who goes through this! Thank God for this site. People have been so nice here. Their suggestions have been helpful to me. As for our problem, does the axe work well? If that works, I will keep a bottle on me at all times. Hehe... I also never heard of voila. What is it? Does it go in the bag or do you ingest it? Please let me know. Thank you for your input.

itchy22
Oh... Panhead. Voila is French for "there." Sorry to confuse you.
Mrs.A
Hey guys,
I am one of the users of One Drop. It is not for inside your bag, it is a room freshener and you can also place one drop in the toilet to keep the smell contained when you empty your bag. It works really well for me. I sometimes use it when in public restrooms even before I do anything because they themselves need a good cleaning. I have also read that good old baking soda can be put in our bags as well to help, but I have not tried it as of yet. If you do use baking soda, DO NOT use vinegar to clean out your pouch because this will cause a reaction and it will foam up. I use vinegar mixed with baking soda to clean stains out of my laundry and it is excellent.

Hope you find a solution that works for you.
panhead511

How are you doing, Mrs. A? Hehe, I bought some One Drop and I put it in my bag! I heard that you could put it in the toilet, but I thought it could go in the bag also. My bad... I guess that I won't do that again thanks to your reply. Have a great day!

WOUNDED DOE

What a great idea! I've had my ileostomy for 37 years and never thought of that... gonna try it. Thanks!!