Need help with allergic reaction to flange tape - how to heal sores?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
MarSka

Does anybody have suggestions for me? I have been using Hollister 14904 flange for 5 years. A couple of weeks ago, I developed a rash that is burning and painful. I thought it was yeast and took Diflucan for 8 days. No response. Now I have blisters and oozing sores that are not healing. It is not in the shape of the flange, but the ostomy nurse says I developed an allergic reaction to the tape. How can I get these sores to heal?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,101 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

ron in mich

Hi Marska, if you're using the type of wafer with the tape surround, try trimming it off and use a different tape or a belt for extra support. Good luck, Ron in Mich.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
WOUNDED DOE
Hi Marshka, I am so sorry to hear you are having trouble, dear.... I also, on occasion, have trouble with flange and tape allergic reactions... I actually found two different styles of pouches with different kinds of tape, and I alternate usage... Also, in between changing your pouch, when the stoma is not so active (hard to predict at times, I know, lol), take a small snip from an Aloe Vera plant. When your skin is clean and completely dry (try not to use soaps with oils or perfumes that leave a coating on your skin), squeeze the Aloe Vera plant juice all over the sore area. It will be sticky and slimy, lol, but do not wipe it off. Smear it on gently and evenly across your skin, honey, and then wave it dry... It is SO healing... xoxo... Do not wash it off, leave it on your skin. Once it is perfectly dry, which doesn't take long at all, then have your new pouch ready to put on.

Worth a try, it's just something that personally helps me, and helps to prevent getting sores from too much allergic irritation... Good luck!! Let me know if it helps.

~Doe
MarSka

Thanks, Doe. I will try anything. Response appreciated.

MarSka

MarSka

Thanks Ron. I cut all the tape off and am using a belt (for the first time ever). Saw the ostomy nurse again and this time she said it's an infection. Using miconazole powder and an inter dry dressing to assist in healing. So painful. I have to change the flange daily and buy supplies out of pocket. Insurance only provides 10 changes/month. Time will tell.

Mary

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Past Member

Am so sorry you are experiencing this. I had several infections and was put on a 10-day supply of the same med they put you on and was told it was a fungus. I also used the Nystatin Topical Powder 3 times a day and also exposed as much of the flange to air as possible but not very successfully. I cannot tell you the amount of out-of-pocket expense we went through as it took so long for my incision to heal and then some idiot left a suture in and that was removed (told the doctor he had better remove it while there as I wasn't about to go for surgery #4) and he removed about 6-8 inches of material. Medicare will not pay for more than assigned so we too had a LOT come out of pocket from another supplier.

The good news is that after a long time of healing (at least a year!) I am doing well and the Crohn's Colitis has not come back.

Good luck and make sure you always stay in touch with an ostomy nurse as I know the discomfort you are going through but not to that degree! I will say a prayer for you that by the time you read this board, you will have found much relief and the blisters gone!!

Hugs

Bikergirl

Sorry, you are experiencing trouble with your skin and flange/tape. It irritates me with suppliers that they change their appliances without telling us.. which can sometimes cause allergic reactions. They are always trying to "improve" the product, when for some of us.. we do not need the improvements or changes.. Leave what works alone....You might want to check with your supplier to see if their product had changed for some reason.
I am praying that maybe the aloe is helping with your healing.
Nobody, who has not experienced this type of burning, can even come close to comprehending how sore and painful it is..
Sending you healing energy and light.
Mary

22pumpkin
I saw Marathon at the UOAA conference. It is a medical superglue that acts like a liquid bandage. It doesn't sting when you apply. You paint the inflamed area with the glue and let it dry before applying the wafer. It's pricey, but it lasts ~3-5 days. It will protect the skin. Here is more info on it, but your ostomy nurse probably can give you more info.

http://www.chooseremedy.com/marathon-liquid-skin-protectant-msc093001.html

They gave us a promo code to use "UOAA" for 20% off and free shipping.
bigtrev

Hi, I'm an ostimate for over 13 years and just like everyone else, I get a bit of a rash now and then. My cure? - When you're changing your appliance, give yourself some time and apply some "Eumovate" cream to the affected area and leave it (open air!) for maybe 30 minutes. Then, clean, dry off, and proceed as normal. You shouldn't need this any more than twice! It's great stuff, honest! Works for me every time.

Firefly

So sorry you are having problems. I too get a rash from time to time. Changing my appliance more often helps. I am confused -- does flange equal wafer? Need a clarification. Thanks anyone.

Mildred Rank

I, too, have been to hell and back with a skin rash under and around my barrier for almost 4 months. I have tried numerous prescriptions, both oral and in cream and powder form. The oral medication was prescribed because my doctor thought it was a yeast infection. The creams and powders interfered with the adhesion of my barrier, which led to many, many leaks. Finally, I went to a dermatologist and had a biopsy done. The results showed that it was psoriasis. I am now using Clobetasol Propionate Foam, 0.5%, and after just 3 days, not only is the rash going away, but the foam dries completely so there are no problems with the barrier. My advice to you is to see a dermatologist ASAP. Good luck. Dotsy