Embracing Your Ostomy: Swimsuit Season Confidence!

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Past Member
Swim suit season is always a trigger for most people - the image they have of themselves showing more skin. Some people are comfortable in a bikini, others prefer a one-piece, and others the tankini.

For both girls and boys with an ostomy, how are we to handle being in a swimsuit while also being socially acceptable?

My take on this subject is having the attitude of - be yourself. I don't see how having an ostomy changes anything about how you'd normally go about things and dress. It's summer! Rock your body and use your ostomy as an accessory. Be confident and accept it as, you have an ostomy, and you're going to the beach, and gonna wear a bikini without feeling self-conscious. I personally have never had the feeling of thinking I was fat or ugly - I never worried or focused on that. I see it as, so long as you feel good about yourself, are having fun and enjoying your day - it really doesn't matter! I say, go about your summer as you would any other summer before you had your ostomy.

However, after having talked to a select few, some had a different perspective on it. They thought that by exposing my ostomy it would be asking for attention - that I would be asking people to feel sorry for you. Others thought that it would be gross to have it uncovered, stating that there's stool in the bag and it would be seen as revolting to have it exposed.

What's your take on this? Anyone care to share their opinion?

Should you hide the ostomy? Or be confident in your own skin?
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,100 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Rizzo

You might want to check out Titi's photos on here, then you'll see a lady that's comfortable with her ostomy.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Past Member

Wow, you're right- GOOD JOB TITI! That's refreshing to see someone going about their day to day life comfortable with her ostomy. HIGH FIVE!!! Long live summer!

MissMeganM

Personally, I plan on a swim wrap/swim cover (whatever I find) and I'll be wearing a bikini for sure, LOL. I have no problem with my ostomy or my surgical scars. It saved my life. So to me, for someone to have a problem with that means that they have a problem that I am still alive. And if that's the case, they can eff off. It makes me sad that some people with ostomies have such poor body image. Believe me, we are more self-conscious about it than anyone else.

Hobbes650

Check out Jessica Grossman's blog called Uncover Ostomy. http://uncoverostomy.org/ Jessica's stoma is on the low side, so that certainly makes it easier to hide. Mine is up near my navel, so finding men's suits that go high enough to cover it is tough.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
jenepooh

I have decided after being an ostomate for almost 16 years and wearing various swimsuits, that a two-piece...or tankini with a skirt seems to work best. Easy access and well hidden, etc. Easy peasy lol.

gillian

I would totally say rock the bag! I actually just got reversed and my scars are healing up, but it does look like I had a run-in with a nasty unicorn. And I'm so excited to get back in shape and wear a bikini and show off my scars with pride! I found when I had my bag, people were not grossed out by it. I was very open and upfront about it all, and actually, people were so amazed and kept telling me how proud and strong and amazing I was for being so cool about it! Let's bring it into the light and get positive attention for all of us dealing with this!

Sophie96

Hi there, I am still relatively new to having my ostomy. I've had it since June last year, but I had lots of problems so ended up spending the summer in the hospital. So, I haven't thought much about what I would wear while swimming. The few times I have thought about it, I always assumed that a swimming costume was the only option. I didn't even think that there might be people out there who wear bikinis with their ostomies! I'm not sure that I'm brave enough to do it, but I'm so glad to hear that there are people out there who do! It has given me a little bit of hope! Well done, guys! x

Calikidd

I love summer. I love the lake. I think having a colostomy has given me more motivation to work out and get in the best shape ever. So, if my colostomy does ever show, at least I'm in killer shape.

Past Member

Correct thinking, I'm thinking the same!! Fitness always makes anyone happy.

Captain Tact

I'm actually going WAY out there....so far only one person (other than medical professionals) has seen my ostomy- I'm not sure I'm quite ready to expose it to friends and family yet (I tend to use a clear pouch, so it's kind of gross looking), so I'm taking my opaque pouch on a field trip to a clothing optional campground for a day. As scary as that is....they're strangers and used to seeing things most folks keep covered. It's not like a family/friend event...y'know? And honestly, the exposure worries me less than swimming and having the adhesive come loose and causing a leak while swimming.

Anoniem18

Reading all these comments, I find it difficult to understand why everyone seems so concerned about image. Of course, being 68 and not worrying too much about what others think about my having an ileostomy makes it easier to talk about it. Most of my friends and former colleagues know about my circumstances. Usually, I make a joke about it, such as: "You can't call me an a..h.le anymore." Or another one: "When you have to go, you have no choice," whereas I can decide when I go. And I used to wear my T-Shirt to the chemo and radiation sessions. Also, I have a black T-Shirt with an outline of the grim reaper in dark blue and a little white under which it says: "Sometimes I show up just to see the look on people's faces." Oh, and as far as swimming, one of those crazy boxer shorts-type bathing suits works fine, and since I am 68, I can wear them like a grandpa - up high. As far as worrying, I shower without covering up the appliance or the flange coming off. But I do use a tape made of gauze which works great.

Anoniem18

That was the Grim Reaper.

Captain Tact

Fair enough point about showering, as I do the same, but showering and swimming are two different beasts. I could happily swim for an hour...showering is 20 minutes max, doesn't involve submerging it the entire time, and I can keep it out of the stream as desired.

gillian

I did a fair amount of swimming with my bag at the local YMCA which has way too much chlorine in it but I never had a problem with the bag coming off or leaking.

Daisy123

Just bought a high-waisted bikini that is so cute, and I can't wait to wear it! It's my first summer with an ostomy and I am using it as an excuse to go out and buy some cute swimsuits and sundresses that make me feel great about myself. And yes, being healthier now makes me able to keep fit and rock a healthy body in a way that I could not before. So I do have an ostomy, but I am developing a different kind of self-confidence that I wasn't able to have when I was sick all the time.

Past Member

Daisy, you couldn't have said it any better! You hit the nail on the head!

Past Member

Have you been on Skype lately, Cindy?

Past Member

Still in hospital, Liam. My internet's not good here at all - I'm amazed it's working now!! Ahaha, I'll let you know when I'm home.

Past Member

PS - Adele is dead... got my ostomy reversed yesterday :'( Sooo sad. RIP Adele. I miss having my bag.

Past Member

Ok Cinderella!

nomorpills

I use a swim shirt to cover. I could care less but it does and will disgust a lot of people. Gotta be considerate. IMO

prettyteacher

Land's End has many options for swimsuits, especially for women. Go to www.lands.end.com

tinker424

Doesn't the bag get loose in the water? I'm so new to this. This would be my first summer and I'm terrified.

Past Member

It is a possibility for the bag to get loose, leak, or even fall off - not meaning to scare you. BUT! It shouldn't happen. Make sure you don't put on a new bag right before swimming - you want to give enough time for the glue to properly attach to the skin. Make sure you use the leak protector (which you should do every day regardless) and make sure the bag is empty when you go out. If you go out with a full bag, it's going to have more chance to tug off. ALSO, a good solution is to wear either a smaller bag or get an ostomy cap. It works the same as a bag, except it's a small circle that just caps over the stoma. It's used for when people with stomas get intimate or go swimming, or want to wear a skin-tight slut dress on a night out, sorta thing. If you use the cap though, make sure you give it an hour or so to properly attach to your skin. IF you are having leaks all the time or the bag is falling off - either something's not right, or you're not putting the bag on right, you're putting too much skin protector/powder on, etc. - and the glue isn't able to stick. Consult your stoma nurse and book an appointment to solve the issue.

sony34
Hi Megan,
Where do you purchase your wraps and cover-ups from?
MissMeganM

I like awestomy.com's wraps better than ostomysecrets.com; my stoma is situated a little high so the Ostomy Secrets wraps aren't thick enough to really rein it in, lol. So I just go to www.awestomy.com and get them there instead. They have inner pockets so the pouch can just rest in there and you're all set. Plus, they have a lot of cute designs that I like and you can wear them for just about anything - I wear them under my clothes to smooth out my silhouette and I also wear them when I wear anything that's cropped so my tummy is showing, or when I'm not wearing anything at all, lol.

My bathing suit bottom I DID get from ostomysecrets.com and I absolutely love it. It has an inner pocket too and it's a little high-waisted. With that and an $8 bikini top I got from Walmart, no one would have any clue I had an ostomy when I'm at the beach. It was a little expensive, but I feel like investing in your personal comfort is MORE than worth it.

rikki2014

I was worried about swimming as well. I found a triathlon swim skin works very well. Covers and holds great.

Charlyne

Just a thought. My colostomy is high and I've decided on a one-piece. More flattering on me anyway. Stealth Belt has a belt with a secure zipper pocket for your pouch. It's for swimming and their products are expensive but are known for durability and security. I will save a few extra and hopefully mine will last several years. The one drawback I see is it is pricey but on the other hand, quality.