Protect Yourself: Get Checked for Chicken Pox and Avoid Shingles

Replies
Views
itchy22

A few years ago, my wife began itching from between her shoulder blades to all the way around (on the right) to her sternum. Blisters and redness appeared. After a few days, it was unbearable. She had to be attended to by homecare nurses for weeks. It left her with permanent nerve pain and loss of the use of her right arm. I went to my doctor and asked for a blood test to determine if I had chicken pox as a child. (This is what causes shingles). Turns out I did and immediately went to the pharmacy and got a shot of Zostovax which will protect you from the shingles virus. You may have seen the ads on TV but my point is get yourself checked out if you are not sure you had chicken pox as a child. If you have, by all means pay the $100 or so to avoid the sheer misery. You may get shingles anyway, but to a degree far, far less than without the medicine.

Primeboy

That's really great advice, Itch. I hesitated because I heard that it was not covered under Medicare. Thanks to your post, I checked things out and found the following statement from AARP: The bottom line: Call your plan in advance and ask which pharmacies and doctors in your area you should use to receive the shingles vaccine at the plan's regular copay. Apparently all Part D plans must cover it, but to what extent needs to be determined. Isn't it always something?

PB

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,365 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Xerxes

Itchy,

I believe blindness can occur in response to shingles. Your advice is most valuable.

X_

WOUNDED DOE

Great advice, brother itchy22. I had chicken pox twice, quite bad, when I was a child, then again when I was 18 while taking care of friends who had it. Then I had shingles approximately 7 years ago. Not fun. My doctor at that time just prescribed me Amitriptyline for comfort, but I didn't use it. I upped my intake of antioxidants and potent teas to get through. I haven't had any problems since, thankfully. But your advice is great! Thanks for posting this. It will help many people.

iMacG5
I got the shingles shot last November.  I got shingles this summer.  Not pleasant at all.   I'm told it would've been way worse if I hadn't gotten the shot.  I can only imagine the pain. I believe the shot significantly mitigated my symptoms and suggest getting the shot (if you had chicken pox) regardless of the cost.  

Mike

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
heshootshescores

Hello itchy22, I'm getting itchy just reading about shingles.

I've not had it (shingles) but I once shared a house with someone who did. I'm sure I've had chicken pox when I was a child, I don't remember exactly. It is definitely something I'll keep in mind!

Thanks mate.

itchy22

Do it. By all means, do it or you will be doing this all the time. Just ask Wounded Doe.