Exercise and Ostomy: Energy and Safety Concerns

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses tips and advice for managing energy levels and ensuring safety while exercising with an ostomy.
heshootshescores

Is this lack of energy part of Crohn's and IBD diseases? Even when I know the benefits of exercise.

I was feeling non-energetic this morning and my plan was/is to ride my BMX to the local shopping plaza. I also find during exercise when I've taken a break, when I'm about to start again I feel really non-energetic, then I'm okay once I get going.

Mentally, I'm ready to exercise, I want to exercise, I really love getting out there. I think extreme sports are the best. I am concerned about the jarring of my body during exercise as I have heard this is bad for my ileostomy. Plus, I am concerned about damaging my stoma if I perform a "trick" and don't successfully make it.

My interests are BMX and skateboarding, I also have inline skated too. I have done these sports since I was a child, since my Crohn's diagnosis, and since I have had ileostomy surgery, and since my bag has been made permanent.

I was looking for other people's opinions.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,086 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

WOUNDED DOE

Hiya! .........ooooh yes, those of us with Crohn's know full well about the lack of energy and extreme fatigue... it's quite difficult to stay in gear much of the time. I have always been very active as well, still am, or try to be, but there are days when it seems nearly impossible..... exercise is always important but we definitely always need to listen to our bodies and rest more than many of the people around us. Keep pushing fluids, try to get more sleep/rest..... and eat lots of antioxidant and anti-inflammatory foods, best you can. But unfortunately, yes, that lack of energy can likely be part of your Crohn's .... also along with it is the emotional and psychological aspects of the disease that weigh us down so often along with the physical, hence, sucking more of our energy away.............. take care dear xoxo

~Doe

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
vulcanBMk2

Wake up, breakfast, polish the car, back to bed... I only have a urostomy.

heshootshescores

I have all this mental energy and my body just doesn't keep up.

Something I read today talked about "do you have any aptitude at what you're trying to do"

So for me, it's about acceptance, about moving on, that there are other things I can do. I can still appreciate those people who are able to do these sports and other sports too.

Tag65

It sounds like aside from lack of energy, you are worried about damaging your stoma. I'm not certain how long you have had your stoma, so I can't say whether I recommend this or not--but try googling "stoma guard". There are guards designed for active lifestyles as well as something I've heard of called a stealth belt. I can't speak for either of them, but they are worth at least checking into. Best of luck.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
heshootshescores

Hey Tag65, how are you? I just looked at the 2 products you mentioned. The Stealth Belt seems really good! It looks like there isn't even a stoma there when you are wearing it, great for those watersports. I also looked at the Stoma Guard too! I'm totally impressed, I want to get one. I'm totally motivated to keep going with the sports.

Thank you
mamawlaura

I get real upset at myself at times because my mind wants to do certain activities but my body says not today. I'm almost 71 and been very active..love fishing and hiking the AT. But have had many different types of cancer surgeries, the last total colectomy ending with ileostomy..2 years ago. I'm a very positive thinking person and know I will eventually get back to my happy nature-loving passions.....always be positive! Life is worth it..best to everyone and the Lord bless and help you with your dreams.

curly-pussycat

I've been better for energy since having electrolyte drinks daily. Instead of adding electrolyte drinks to the normal volume of fluid intake, replace normal drinks with it throughout the day. This slows down the watery output too.

You are so lucky to be able to sit on a bicycle seat! I have no chance of that after the anal closure haha!!

Keep on having fun and pushing your body a little bit. Maybe the electrolyte drinks will help along the way?

vikinga

Why can't you ride a bike after anal closure? Please tell me in case I end up in that scenario.
Thanks

Kenneth82

Try Ostomy Armour. www.ostomyarmour.com

Firefly

So happy to hear others are lacking vitality. Now I don't feel so much like a slouch when I just have to nap. Thanks one and all for all the good advice.

heshootshescores

Ok, I wanted to explain a little about the anal closure. I had the risk of rectal cancer and had the surgery to get my rectal stump removed.

When I was recovering, e.g. swelling going down and pain going away, I went for a short bike ride and tore the stitches open. This meant that I had to get a wound vacuum pump to help close the wound. It took me like a year to recover from the surgery.

For me, it was a dumb decision to ride my bike. I don't know why I did it. I'm looking for a reason outside of myself for the decision. I must not have thought of the possible problems that happened as a result. It set me back, and the healing took ages. The wound was very painful.

Since then (2 more years), I have been riding to get fit and have found that sometimes the closure bleeds from the exertion of exercise and the pressure of sitting on the bike seat or both. I think it's 100% healed. It isn't swollen and generally doesn't cause me any problems.
Although most of the time while riding, I stand up and hardly ever pedal sitting down.

This is a bit more of my story.

vikinga

Kenneth, that link doesn't work.

vikinga

Thanks for the explanation. I would think that with all the different kinds of bike seats available these days, there would be one that is friendly to a "dead" butt. I guess it has to do with the movement of the two halves of the cheeks that aggravate the middle....hmmm. I would not want to give up riding a bike if possible.

heshootshescores

Hello, that's definitely a concern for me (having to give up riding a bike). I like being able to get out and exercise. It's a big part of who I am.

Today I skated a few kilometers along a bike path to the city and back again. I just stopped halfway when I reached the city to take a toilet break. I simply went to the public toilet and checked my bag was still sealed, then emptied it out, then continued on my way.

It's a simple no-fuss way to check everything's okay. You get a short break to catch your breath. Then you keep going.

MissMeganM

Here's my question for you - because I have the same stuff you do (Crohn's, ileostomy, the whole fun shebang), I had noticed the same issue after I recovered from surgery. I asked my GI to run a nutrient panel on me and measure the levels of different nutrients in my body to see where I was deficient. Turns out I had no value for B12 and also was very low in vitamin D and iron (also will affect energy levels). I have to get B12 injections once a month now after having them daily for a week, then weekly for a month. Huge difference. I just can't absorb it normally anymore. I also took 50,000 IU of vitamin D once a week for 8 weeks and added an iron supplement. Maybe you just need some lab work to get your energy level back? I know I am super energetic, even with all that crap - after I started getting my body right, I felt like Superwoman for a bit lol

vikinga

I like the idea of the nutrient panel. Very interesting. I will look into that. Thanks!

heshootshescores

Hello Miss Megan M, I have an answer for you about my nutrient levels. I have not had a test done yet, but I can tell you I do feel a real lack of energy. I get through the day, yawning a lot, however I'm not very energetic at all. I realize this is because of how much energy I had when I was younger before I had surgery, in comparison to how I go now when I exercise. I'm thinking I need to get some vitamin tablets to take (B12, iron, vitamin D) and that these will give me more energy. Then again, the tablets might not make any difference because I think all of a sudden I've got more energy. I don't really like having to rely upon tablets to keep me going, and I know I won't get much benefit from them because of the low absorption rate due to having a shortened gut.

three

Hi heshootshescores ~ you may find this article interesting. I don't understand everything the authors say, but there seems to be at least some truth to their words.

Hidden Dehydration Silently Steals Your Energy nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp
MissMeganM

I'd ask to have some bloodwork done; it's the only way you'll know how deficient you really are and what you're deficient in - and honestly, you probably won't be able to get B12 out of tablets, I can't. I have to have it injected. 50,000 IU of vitamin D once a week will make you feel like Superman, trust me LOL