Ileostomy Sunken

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Unknown50862
I recently had surgery this summer to remove my colon because of complications with UC. I am now in between surgeries and am having to deal with an ileostomy. I have had it for about 3 months now and, besides the normal trial and error, really haven't had many problems.

However, this most recent bag change, I noticed something different. It seems a small portion below the stoma has sunk in. The stoma itself is still protruding, but if I lift it up, I can see a small pit, about the depth of the tip of my finger. The whole sunken area is still a part of the red tissue and not skin, but it still has me concerned. I felt some weird discomfort (not painful) recently, below my ileostomy (groin area), and I am wondering if that was connected. I have also had another outpatient surgery a little over a week ago, dealing with a hydrocele, and was wondering if that had anything to do with it.

If anyone could help, I would greatly appreciate it. I don't know if this is normal or a common occurrence. I'm trying to avoid going back to the doctor just for this, as the hospital is 3 hours away, and I really don't have the money. If it is nothing serious, I am hoping I can just deal with it until my final surgery in a couple of months (Thanksgiving).
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,097 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Whoa
Nurse
Hi Unknown,

I'm trying to visualize what you have described but having difficulty. What I picture is a shallow ulcer below the stoma vs. a separation of the skin from the stoma. Are either one of these correct? Some folks will have a separation between the skin and stoma after surgery while healing, but it is usually noted within a couple weeks after the surgery. Not at all uncommon for someone with your diagnosis, especially if you had been on steroids prior to surgery.

For either one, I would make sure the area is cleaned well when you change your appliance. If you have any Karaya or Stomahesive Powder, you may want to fill the defect with that, then apply whatever you normally use (Stomahesive paste or Eakins ring type barrier) then your appliance. This would help prevent the stool from getting in there. You didn't mention having any issues with containment which is good.

If you can't get in to see them, you may want to call the ostomy nurse and take a picture, send it to her. I have had to do that with a couple folks who lived far away and able to make a little more sense of things than a description.

I am not sure how the groin pain and your surgery for the hydrocele may be connected. You may want to call in if you can't physically get in to see the doctor/nurse.

Can you see a social worker re: insurance coverage? I can't imagine paying cash! I don't know where you are located or your financial status, but I would think there would be some sort of county or state coverage as you are still recovering from prior illness/surgery and looking down the road to another. Most hospitals/clinics have a social worker and I'd ask if there are benefits to help you.

If you need more clarification, let me know.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate