Ileostomy leaking - is this normal?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
stace20

Hi, I just had the ileostomy, but I'm finding it leaking. Is this normal?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,101 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

gutenberg
Hi Stace20, it certainly was normal for me and I think for a lot of folks, it takes a while and some patience to get that flange on just right, and making sure you use Ivory soap when washing up around your stoma and drying with a paper towell and after a while things will come together for you. We wish you luck, ED
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Primeboy
Hi Stace. You will do well to check out the Ostomy Tips link at the top of the home page. Also, try to find out the why, where, and when of the leakage. Leaks happen because of something. Some of my leaks were due to improper application, or too much pressure from a seat belt, or my underwear pushing the bag off the flange. I call this crime scene investigation. You can learn from your experiences. I have come to trust my ostomy supplies because none of my leaks were due to equipment malfunction but rather my own human error. My leaks are now thankfully very rare, maybe one a year. Your leaks will diminish with experience. Good luck!
PB
latina63

Hi, totally normal! It took me about 2 months before my skin "toughened" up and then every now and then she would leak no matter what I did! Good luck, it will get better.
MissMeganM

Yep! It happened to me a lot in the early days until I got the hang of it. PB is 100% right though, it's being caused by something - could be your application process, maybe your stoma has shrunk and you need to be refitted (this happens after surgery and is normal, happened with me), and it could be something you're eating. Research ostomy tips about applying your appliance and go from there. If you still have a problem, DON'T SUFFER NEEDLESSLY - see a stoma nurse.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
stace20

Thanks everyone. I'm getting fed up of it. I've been to see the stoma nurse, and she gave me different bags to try. It's embarrassing, I'm only 20. I'm struggling to come to terms with it. X

Mildred Rank

I always use my hair dryer on low heat to thoroughly dry the barrier after showering, pressing it down all the way around as it dries. This helps the Eakin barrier seal keep me intact for at least 7 days before changing without any leaks. Hope this works for you. Dotsy

stace20

Thanks for the tip.

Past Member

This is a good tip as most companies tell you not to use soap or any moisture product and to thoroughly dry the area. Once the bag is in place, put plenty of pressure using both hands so that all the flange is being secured, then apply some more heat and pressure again.
If this fails, use the Salts product range. They have one-piece bags that have the flange cut in a flower pattern so it binds and moves with you. They also have Secuplast Hydro Aloe Vera strips that you can place over the area that you find leaks. Look them up for your "local" supplier and ask them to send you about 7 bags and the Secuplast Hydro strips. Plus, they have a product that does away with that gooey moldable stuff called Dermacol Stoma Collar. You need to work out the size you need. Ask them to send you a sizing chart and take it from there. God bless and good luck.

marisa.s

Do not be embarrassed.

Work with your WOCN and you will figure out the best products for you.

It is sometimes trial and error, so be patient and give yourself a break - it's all new and takes some adjustment.

When you remove the flange, take a look at the underside and/or at the skin around your stoma - this may reveal where the leak is occurring. Look at the skin and see if there are dips in the area around your stoma - the area may require the application of a seal.

I was good for eight months following my surgery, then I gained weight and it changed the contours of my belly, so I started leaking. It is frustrating and my skin suffered. After trying different products, it is more or less under control.

Be patient. Good luck.
Marisa

Ewesful

I just learned a new method that works with my stoma -- I am very allergic to the glues as I gather many people are. My ostomy nurses helped ever so much, however they had the hole cut so that every 3rd day I would start itching. I took off the bag and was blistered and bleeding just along the edge. The suggestion was to cut the bag small enough so it barely goes around the stoma - heat the glue with the hair dryer - set the lower part of the hole tight to the bottom of the stoma, now actually pop the stoma into the opening and push the seal tightly into place. It worked incredibly well this past week - no itching, no bleeding, no blisters ---I am still new at this - so this may be an old trick but it was new to me!

sweede0

I had problems with leakage, but I went to a large wound clinic and they started me using #8524 of the Hollister company. It has hooks on both sides of the hole, and you "hook" on an elastic belt that goes all the way around from one side to the other. It works great, and I have never had a bag come loose or leak since I began using it. The belt holds the "hole" close to your body.

Ewesful

Thank you very much for the info. I am going to look into that model - I have finally got one type for which the glue will hold and not tear up the skin. Have you ever used the bands that pocket the bags? I saw one and wondered about making one - I have a serger and think I can create one with swimsuit double stretch fabric. I am always interested in any info that will help - of all I have been through with FAP, this is the most challenging because it needs to be dealt with 24 hrs a day - not that it is hard - it just is what it is!