Food Tips for New Ileostomy Patients

Replies
Views
Monsieur Le President

Only thing that ever blocked me solid was fresh coconut.

Won it at a fair, drank several pints to celebrate, ate half the coconut and ended up the following morning at the doctor's surgery in some discomfort.

The unblocking was not pleasant either.

Have never tried it since, but generally you can eat what you want.

Over 40 years I have eaten most foods in many parts of the world.

Enjoy your life.

Skin horse

I've had ileo for 40 years. Always had problems with leakage with fruits and veggies so I juice and I can enjoy everything (I still need to add lots of water)

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,366 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Homie With A Stomie NS

Hi Stace...I have an ileostomy, hun....food is going to be trial and error....it differs for each of us...we have our dos and don'ts and maybes for the first 3 months, be careful. ..First, chew, chew, chew, and chew some more. Eat smaller portions but eat more times per day...stay away from fruits and vegetables with skin or seeds and nuts, at least for a few months, and gradually try... I eat, or at least try, what I want....again, remember what you have to pass through the stoma and it can get blocked easily if food is not chewed or broken down, etc....take a little from each of us and you certainly will not go hungry....welcome to the group

clements.nona

I have had an ileostomy since 2007 and I have found that I can eat anything I want. However, I have to eat some things in small amounts, like soft nuts for example. I also found that chewing slowly and completely helps this to be possible. I also suggest drinking lots of fluids. There really isn't much I can't eat. If I do feel like things aren't moving as they should, I drink apple juice and it helps make it feel like it should. Hope this helps.