Tips for Dealing with Work Issues

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic provides practical tips and advice for managing work-related challenges while living with an ostomy.
Mrs.A
Hi Highlander,
I am sorry that you have had to put up with the ignorance of some people. And it is great that you have thick skin because there always seems to be ignorant people who like to remain ignorant.
I live on the east coast as well, here in the U.S. and I have found a really good deodorant called Pure Drop. I get it from my local Walmart, usually find it in the toilet tissue aisle on a hanging strip in the aisle. If you don't see it, ask. It is what they call an item that is carried by Department 82, which is an impulse item department. A manager could point you to the department manager who takes care of those items. I have tried to research it online but it is in a company that sells about 3,000 items and seems easier to just go to Walmart. Here is a link to show you what to look for, but it is only sold in the stores, not on their website.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pure-Drop-Toilet-Odor-Eliminator-0.67-fl-oz/23598032

Copy this number down and take it with you to a Walmart associate to find this item in the store: 0004288741186

It is not meant to be used in your pouch, but I have used it in the pouch and in the toilet. I do not keep it in the pouch when I am going to sleep because gravity will send it to the stoma and I don't know if it is harmful. I rinse my pouch out every night before I lay down to rest.
When you put a drop in the toilet then empty it, it coats the water so the smell doesn't leave the toilet and fill the room.
I have also rinsed my pouch with mouthwash and it does leave a cleaner smell than not using something. I have also heard that liquid fabric softener in the pouch helps with odor.
Well, enough said by me.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,093 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Highlander15

Thanks so much for writing, these are good things to know. I wish my doctor or the nurse would have ideas like this. But that is the beauty of this site, seems like you have to be a sufferer to know how to alleviate suffering.
Yes, I have developed a thick skin. I met a woman in the hospital who committed suicide after a colostomy and rejection by her husband. I thought about the situation, and I decided that would not be me.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Anoniem18

I guess if you swallow it.
Just a bit in the pouch,
Ed
Seanna

Hi...for odor, I have found that M9 drops work the best. It comes in small or large bottles. I just add drops to my bag every time I empty it when I am out or working. I don't bother with it at home. I even keep a bottle at my brother's for when I stay with him. I find Ziplock baggies work the best when I have to change my flange somewhere other than home. I also find baby wipes work well for cleanup when I blow a flange.

klark

I use the Hollister Adapt Lubricant and Deodorant in my pouches.

It works great but if I run out or run low on the Adapt... a little bit of

Listerine and 2 or 3 Tic Tac breath mints in the pouch works too.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister