Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,338 members

Moist Wipes for Stoma

Past Member
Posted by Past Member, on Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:08 pm
Just curious if anyone out there has found any moist wipes (flushable) in a regular store that are safe to use on Stomas.  It seems I run out of them before running out of my other supplies and hate ordering them separately.  I get mine from Shield Health Care.  Would appreciate any input.

Jud
Reply by beyondpar, on Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:55 pm
are you cleaning your stoma?  and if so why?its nothing more than intestine, and is used to be covered in poo,  just saying
Reply by Primeboy, on Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:23 pm

beyondpar wrote:
are you cleaning your stoma?  and if so why?its nothing more than intestine, and is used to be covered in poo,  just saying

Spot on, Beyondpar, in a manner of speaking. For my part, I rely on Bounty, the quicker picker upper. In a pinch, I will use a store brand paper towel, especially when on sale. Naturally, this product is not flushable, but that's where those plastic bags your groceries come in have a second life. Sure, my ostomy supplier will provide me with all sorts of exotic ostomy paraphernalia, especially since Uncle Sam is paying for the ride; but I think common sense and civic responsibility should prevail. So, Jud, to answer your question: our guts do not always need all that special handling. Now, where did I put my flange.....?
   PB
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:03 pm

Last edited by Past Member on Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:35 am; edited 3 times in total
Reply by Primeboy, on Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:06 pm

~jo~ wrote:
I think Jud is referring to wipes to clean the stoma with when changing the bag.

Actually, I was too. Is there any other time?

PB
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:37 pm
Never mind guys - maybe it's a female thing since we deal with stuff pretty much our entire lives that is messy and makes us feel less than feminine.  I totally hate messing with my own poo and it's a personal choice for me.  Primeboy - you are a hoot and a half..thanks for the giggle!

Judi
Reply by beyondpar, on Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:05 am
I dont think I speak of the situtation as a male, but as a patient of the medical system for many years and tries to maintain my health as my most important part of not being sick anymore.......I believe that the intestines, need that poo on it to maintain the bacterial balance even on the stoma,  and to clean it with some antibacterial wipes, might be doing more harm than good.........But to agree with you on feeling clean,  I understand totally and what i do is back flush my pouch with warm water after each and every empty,  and in that way i feel clean.  I try not to flush the stoma area but the pouch area entirely.  Just sharing some of my thoughts,  and in our support group we tell all our members, when showering, with wafer off and fully exposed,  just let warm water run over the area, and to not use soap, as that will kill any bacteria naturally living on the stoma........Michael
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:29 am
Hi Michael and thanks for the post.  I only use the wipes when I change out the complete system, if I've not had a shower right before.  I do shower the way you do without using soap, just the warm water.  I don't actually use the wipes on the stoma itself unless it starts activating while I'm in the process of changing everything out. I don't use the wipes when just changing the bag itself...use toilet paper to clean around the rim.

There are so many things associated with the ostomy and it appears you have a really good support group going.  Keep on keeping on!

Blessings,
Judi
Reply by Crohnsguy84, on Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:55 pm
Safe & Simple makes peristomal wipes. Call them for a free sample to see if you like them
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.