Has anyone realized that most doctors are idiots?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
spade

I have had an ostomy for 2 years now and it can't be reversed - no big deal! I have had Crohn's for 42 years.
They did screw up the first surgery, even told me. It prolapsed. The second surgery was a bit better, but the bowel does hang out about 4-6 inches...also no big deal, don't have to worry about leaks!

But all this time, these clowns (doctors) told me I would never have trouble again with perianal fistulas....well guess what? I have 2 going on, plus the anus seems to be painful most of the time now, and not sure why.

When I talk to the doctors, I don't get any straight answers. One of them said he wrote a book on Crohn's...I piss him off when I ask him if he ever had Crohn's. How can you write a book about something you never dealt with? Needless to say, I do piss off most of the medical people I deal with, as I know more than them. If they would have listened to me the first time, I might not have had a colostomy.

Now back to the question, has anyone out there been told that perianal fistulas don't happen to people after these surgeries? This one has me confused and I don't trust the medical system.
Thank you ALL!!!!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,086 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

scotiaman

Hi ... I can see you are pretty upset...but keep in mind that most of us in here are living because of doctors and dedicated nurses...the option otherwise was to kiss this life goodbye...that said, there are doctors who are just plain awful, for a variety of reasons, but some are smart as a whip and really care about the quality of their service. Just keep in mind if you are a pain in their butt, they can be a bigger one in yours especially when you really need them. Secondly, they are no more special than the plumber, it's just the pipes they deal with are a lot more delicate, and if you don't like them, get a second and third opinion. I may be wrong, but the only cure for not ever having an anal fissure is to have no anus at all.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
SPB
The medical sciences in general are a bit questionable, but a good surgeon is indispensable. They are half artist and half plumber. When you find one, hold on to them.
vulcanBMk2

In the UK, surgeons are well paid - worth every penny. However, GPs (Family Doctors) are overpaid, never there when you want them, and know a little bit about lots of things. Hence, not a lot about anything in particular. My GP has already nearly killed my wife (wrong medication - then upping the dose when he found it wasn't working!!!). Anyway, he retired 6 months ago and we are still waiting for the surgery to phone or write to us to tell us who our new doctor is. Yep, GPs work that fast in the UK. Over £90,000 per annum for a 5-day week...