Hair Removal Options for Stoma

Replies
Views
Mark Strobel

Since my surgery, I have been shaving around my stoma, allowing the wafer to have better contact with my skin. With the exception of laser hair removal, is there any other effective way that is safe to the stoma to remove hair? Thanks.

iMacG5
Hi Mark.  I shaved for about 4 months then, with advice from my surgeon I began using one of those ten dollar ear/nose hair removers.  It's like a hedge trimmer but about 1/100 th the size. No more nicks, red/irritated skin, cut stoma or ingrown hairs.  It's way better for me and I think, if you give it a try, you'll feel the same.  

Good luck,

Mike
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,367 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Mark Strobel

Thank you so much for your reply. Do you recommend a specific brand?

iMacG5
Hey Mark, you are so welcome.  I don't know enough about different brands but I use a Remington and a Norelco.  Waiting for a favorable report.

Mike
Mark Strobel

Thank you so much! I was going to try this method a while back, but I always wondered whether it would irritate the stoma. Your testimony, however, confirms that it doesn't. I will give it a try. Thanks again.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Mark Strobel
Just for clarification, are you recommending a hair removal lotion or a shaver? Thanks.
iMacG5
NEVER use a lotion to remove hair around the stoma!  Use the battery powered device for cutting/removing hair.

Mike
Mark Strobel

Thank you so much for the clarification. For some reason, I thought you were talking about the lotion. Does the lotion irritate the stoma?

iMacG5
My understanding is to treat the stoma like the inside of the mouth.  Hope this helps.

Mike
Mark Strobel

Actually, I read today that using a cream or lotion would make it difficult for the wafer to stick to the skin.

vulcanBMk2

My stoma nurse told me to shave my tummy like I shave my face. Just make sure all foam is washed off, skin is dry.

Past Member

I purchased a nose hair trimmer made by Philips, but it doesn't get close enough to the skin to be effective, so I'm back to using my old Braun 360 electric shaver. It's not perfect, but it will have to do for now. Perhaps a wet/dry electric razor might be ideal for shaving around the stoma during shower time.

Anoniem18

Haven't tried my electric shaver either Philips rotary or Braun with a thin flexible foil. I do have the battery-operated hair/nose trimmer, but found a safety razor to be the best.
BTW, don't use your electric appliance hair dryer or razor in the bathroom unless your outlet is a GFI outlet (Ground Fault Interrupt) which cuts the power to the outlet before you get electrocuted.