Best convex 1-piece for young woman?

Replies
Views
DawsyH
Hi there,

I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on which convex one-piece is the best. I am currently using Pelican drainable, but I don't find I have a long wear time with them at all - at most one day. I was wondering if anyone has found very successful convex bags that would suit a girl in her young twenties. I feel that the Pelican ones are relatively discreet?

I would really appreciate any help with this.

Thanks, Hannah
Juuust_James
Thats an easy question to answer -and the answer is -there is not best. What works for me might not work for you or the next person at all -and vice versa. An appliance that you're lucky if you get one day's wear-time out of, most likely works wonders for someone else. All of our bodies are of different sizes and shapes, and all of our skins react differently to different barrier adhesives. I'll tell you what I and any other veteran of life with an ostomy - You need to write, or better yet, call ALL the major manufacturers and request free samples - they will all be more than happy to send you some because they're all competing for our business! - Try every brand and style you can get your hands on - until you find what works best for you. Find one that gives you a good comfortable seal - and good wear time - hopefully you can find one that gives you that without having to resort to additional measures - like pastes and eakin seals - I know I did. I average 7 days wear-time out of my plain Hollister one-piece convex with only a clip-on belt as an added measure. I go to the gym 4 nights a week, so I'm always bending and twisting, and the only time I get leaks now and then is at night if my body clock doesn't wake me when I need to empty - and luckily that only happens a couple times a year.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,455 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Weebobby!

Hey DawsyH, I also used Pelican drainable Convex and found that the flexibility of the flange is great. Unfortunately, the softness of the convex led to leakages and therefore less wear time. The advice from Juuust Jim is well concise, try Dansac 841.37 or bigger.

sooziq

Try SALTS company in the UK. They will send tons of free supplies to try. Their one piece is really nice. Look them up online and email them.
Sooziq

Troy

For me, I use a Convatec 2-piece system with an Eakin ring. I then run a bead of stoma adhesive around the edge of the Eakin ring. I also prep my skin and apply a thin layer of Torbot skin bonding cement on the back of the flange and a thin layer on my skin. I have been doing this for 8 months, no irritation, no leaks, and I change it out once a week. When you remove it, you will need the skin adhesive remover and go nice and slow. I tried many other methods, but I will use this unless something else happens.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
mettajojo
Hi there,

I personally feel Dansac NovaLife is the best after using more than ten different types of suppliers, but I use 2-pieces as my skin is sensitive and constantly applying and taking off a few times a day is painful.

You can always have a couple of them to try first.

All the best,
Jo
Past Member

If you are not so new at the ostomy, you could probably go a little wild trying out samples.

My brand is Coloplast, of which I get some decent wear time, and may meet your discretionary needs...

DawsyH

Thanks for the advice everyone! I am currently making my way through a number of samples! Coloplast Convex seems to be the best for no leakage so far, although it is very rigid. I do like the design of the Salts ones too!