Using Epsom Salts for Irritated Stoma Skin?

Replies
Views
Penguins7

I was wondering as I continue to hear about people with irritated skin around the stoma if Epsom salts would aid in the healing process? I read an article about the benefits of Epsom salts and it said they are great for healing. Does anyone have any experience with using them for skin around the stoma? Penguin7

Primeboy

Hi. There's nothing like soaking tired feet in a pan of Epsom salts after 18 holes of golf, but I would be very cautious about using salt on open wounds unless dissolved in a lot of warm water. The idea seems credible, however, since dentists recommend rinsing the mouth with salt water a day or two after extractions. Perhaps we could have a volunteer from the audience check it out and give us a report.
PB

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,455 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

scotiaman

Hi... Epsom salts is very good for healing wounds. Essentially, it dries out the flesh around the wound and it seems to help in crusting over the wound. I would get medical advice when using it around a stoma as the skin is not really functioning in a normal state, i.e., not exposed to the healing effects of
the air. If the skin around my stoma seems stressed, such as a bit of burn, etc., I will put a thin coat of antibiotic ointment on it and around the base of the stoma, spray it with a skin barrier, then apply the wafer. I will also tape the wafer in place for 24 hours until the wafer is well attached to the skin... Hope this is helpful.

renemoon51

When I have small skin lesions around my stoma, I use Marathon skin protection. It comes in a glass tube with a cotton stopper and it's purple. It works really well. I get it from my regular supplier. Perhaps you could ask the next time you place an order. I have Medicare and a supplement, so I don't know if it's expensive or not. Good luck.

patri

Desitin, a zinc-based diaper rash ointment, works well for me. I use a q-tip to apply a thin line around the stoma, very, very thin, as the wafer will not stick wherever the Desitin is. A very tiny amount coating the skin protects it and heals it rapidly. If you can go bare for a period of ten minutes or more with the Desitin, then wash it off really well and apply your wafer as normal, even that will help. Stay close to home and be prepared for leaks until you learn to apply just the right amount that works.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
LilyJ

Another remedy is to apply milk of magnesia on the skin, let it dry, then proceed as normal. Put the skin barrier over the dried milk of magnesia. And, I was told to use the thick part that's in the cap.

Yancey

The stoma powder works wonders for my irritated skin!