Does Sugar Speed Up Stool Flow?

Replies
Views
rdh21278

Does anyone happen to know if sugar causes the intestine to flow more quickly?

Xerxes

There are many factors that affect gut motility. I am not sure what you mean by "sugar." Do you mean pure sugar or food high in sugars vs. complex carbohydrates or any combination? If you mean plain sugar, I imagine it would affect the consistency of the output; not sure about the rate of discharge.

X_
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,432 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

rdh21278

Simply, I am a sugar addict, so I meant things such as sugar put into coffee, tea, as well as sugary foods such as cookies, etc. I guess what I really want to know is why do I have to empty 10-12 times a day, mostly liquid, due to it being an ileostomy. This knowing that I have only two meters of intestine. So, what foods can slow down my output? Thank you for answering, and any ideas are welcome.

Penguins7

I find that when I drink a beverage that is high in fructose, such as lemonade or Gatorade, my output increases. I too have an ileostomy and watery output, which I have been trying to counter recently. My stoma nurse said the best way to reduce leaks and add to wafer time is to thicken output. I started taking 1/2 of an Imodium tablet every morning, and what a difference in my output. Foods such as bananas, popcorn, marshmallows, peanut butter, and starches will thicken things up. I am not an expert, but I would think that sugar would definitely make output more watery. Good luck. Penguin

tudibird

Just one correction to Penguins7's suggestion for food to slow output - watch out for popcorn. My doctor and ostomy nurse both said a major NO FOOD for ileostomy patients because it causes obstruction. All other foods he recommended are spot on for what I have been told. I should mention, however, I've only been at this for 6 weeks. Best of luck. I'm still learning too.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
scotiaman

Hi... I don't have an opinion on sugar but fatty foods will move fast or anything with mayonnaise... or a similar fatty ingredient.

smith311

Hello, for what it's worth I have noticed that sugary foods do make my output more watery. Since I have an ileo and a very effective bag, I actually prefer a more liquid output because it is easier for me to empty (just unfold the end and swoosh).