Rectal Discharge and Skin Irritation - Seeking Advice

Replies
Views
tknight1

I had my second ileostomy put in July 1, 2013. I no longer have my large intestines but still have my rectum. Four months after my surgery, I am having discharges from my rectum. Some of the discharges are clear while others are brown or red. Also, the skin around my rectum starts bleeding. I am putting Critic Aid Barrier paste on the skin. I was wondering if anyone has dealt with this problem.

Bill
Hello tknight1. It is probably still early-days with regards to the anal discharge - some of which sound 'normal' for after surgery. However, I would be concerned about it coming out red and also about the bleeding of the skin.  This probably needs to be checked out if only for your own peace of mind.Best wishes Bill
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,433 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

ysoraris

Hello, I did, I struggled with something similar for 4 years. It was so ugly, so finally cancer came back and I had a surgery again and I got a permanent bag. So I'm a thousand times better, although it is difficult at first. But with God's help, you get used to it and you can live normally. Try to use Psyllium, it is very good because it absorbs liquids. It can help if you have constipation and absorbs toxins too. You can find it in health food stores. By pounds, it is natural so it doesn't have side effects. You must go to your doctor because of that "red", it can be blood from your intestines or from the wall of your anus. But better go to your doctor. Go to this website for your wellness www.candidacleanser.com.

Shash
Hi there,
I had a total colectomy 2 years ago with only a small piece of rectal stump left.
I also had discharge and irritation; I was told this was pretty normal.
Six months after the colectomy, I opted for removal of the rectal stump, allowing for complete closure.
No more discharge or irritated skin! It's been great since.
You might want to ask the doctor if you are/were a candidate for this procedure.
While having a second surgery is never desirable, it certainly made a huge functional improvement for me.
Best.
Rhian

Hi, I've had an ostomy for 5 years. I still get discharge/bleeding and sores. It's worse after a large meal. I have Hydrocortisone Canesten cream from the GP and Salofalk (Mesalazine) suppositories. Well worth a try. I chose not to have my rectum removed as with women, the vaginal wall can collapse into the 'space'.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
tknight1

I just talked to my wound care nurse and my ileostomy is permanent, so I should not have any discharge or burning. She said that I should not be using a donut to sit since it is no longer recommended, even for hemorrhoids. The anal rectal paste is good, but I need to get in touch with my surgeon about the situation.

tknight1

I just talked to my wound care nurse and my ileostomy is permanent, so I should not have any discharge or burning. She said that I should not be using a donut to sit since it is no longer recommended, even for hemorrhoids. The anal rectal paste is good, but I need to get in touch with my surgeon about the situation.

tknight1