Successful Reversal - A New Life Without My Bag!

Replies
Views
skelly
Well, I waited nine years for my opp now it's all over. I had the reversal 14 days ago and all is going great. I'm out of the hospital and everything is working well. It was loose to start, but now it's more controlled. I'm feeling a little sore, but on the whole, I feel fantastic.

Each day is improving. It went so well that I keep pinching myself to see if I'm awake. I am now so positive that things will be okay. So, all of you out there about to have a reversal, take it from me, I think it's been well worth it so far. I know it's early days, but the doctors are all happy, I'm happy, and there's no reason why things shouldn't keep improving... and best of all, it's free of my bag, which was part of my life for nine years. It feels so unreal and strange, but I'm looking forward to the future.

I'm up and about, moving more each day, eating well, and everything seems to be under control. I can't believe that after just 14 days, I'm so excited to start my new life without my bag. So, everyone out there, there are people who have good results, and I'm one of them... yipeeee! Good luck to you all xxx
blindsided

Hi Skelly
I am headed to surgery tomorrow, Dec. 2 at 11. I had a perforated colon six months ago
and now they are going to put it back together. I am so pleased to read of your success
and it gives me continued hope that I will do as well. The doctors say I am an excellent
candidate for this so off I go. Best wishes to you and continue to get better.
Larry

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,456 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

skelly
Hi Larry

Bet you are full of nerves. I was too, and to be honest, I searched for reassurance. But hey, yes, I think go for it. I feel great 14 days after and can only get better.

The only problem I had was my gut. It was a bit slow to start, and I ended up having a tube into my tummy for a day or two as I was very sick after. But on the whole, it went fantastic. I feel so happy, and I wish you all the luck in the world.

And if the doctors think you're a good candidate, then hey, go for it. I'm sure you too will be happy with the end result. I really am happy I did it. Yes, it's sore after, and I'm not running yet, but I won't be long, that's for sure.

So best of luck and stay positive. Okay, sure you will be fine. Take care.

Sara
blindsided
Hello again Skelly.
How is your diet now that the reversal is done? When they did my emergency surgery, they told me when I came out after 6 days in ICU that I was going to be able to have this reversed. I have then, for the last six months, well, maybe four, eaten most anything I wanted. No nuts, popcorn or sweet corn but other than that, a good diet. I eat peeled apples, grapes, oranges, pears, lots of fruit. Raw and slightly cooked veggies, love Thai food. I eat lots of yogurt as well.
What do you think my learning curve will be starting again? I know soft foods but will I get back to where I was, still minus the corn, popcorn, and nuts. I sure hope so.

Thanks,
Larry
3Pete

I am so happy to hear your reversal is going well. I am going in on Dec 16th for the second attempt at being reversed. I had a really hard time with the first attempt and ended up getting an infection, subsequently had a bag for the last 6 months. Can you please tell me what type of diet and any other things you are doing in order to have what seems to be such a smooth transition? Please, I really need some advice and encouragement. I'm scared and I am praying with all my heart and soul the reversal goes well. Hope to hear from you.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member

Congratulations on your successful reversal. Nine years is a long time. Did you have a treatment plan for rebuilding your pelvic floor muscles prior to your surgery? Some on this site feel the longer the wait, the weaker the muscles, and the less likely one will be a good candidate for reversal. I am delighted to hear a success story. Thanks for posting it. Loretta

skelly
Hi Larry,

Hope it went well and you're recovering well. In answer to your last post, I have found that I can eat anything I want. At first, I was struggling a tiny bit to pass wind, but the doctor said chocolate and ice cream helped, so I had a day or two trying that. It did help! Since coming home, I have been eating small but frequent meals. I have been eating bread, meat, fish, vegetables, pasta, potatoes, nuts, sweet corn, and fruit with the skin on. They have all been fine. I was told I don't have to avoid anything, and I feel that as long as you don't overdo a meal and overload your system, it's been fine. I do feel that if it becomes a little too loose, I eat a banana a day. It has helped loads, and also the odd marshmallow helps too, believe it or not. But I'm trying not to go mad on the marshmallows as they are yummy and a little moreish. I have just been eating what I want when I want it, and things are still all okay so far.

Hope you have a speedy recovery and wish you all the best.

Take care, Sara
skelly
Hi Pete

Well, I have not done anything except eat small portions frequently and to be honest, I have eaten anything. Docs told me to help on trapped wind, then ice cream and chocolate helps, which it did... And I must admit things were a little loose when I first started working, but I have found that eating a banana a day really helps, and also the odd marshmallow..!! But really, since my opp, I have eaten anything I wanted to as the doc said eat what you want... I have had sweet corn, which I haven't touched for nine years, and also nuts and fruit with skin on apples and oranges, grapes, etc. too.. And all seem to be okay.. Improving by the day and stronger too. I'm going to the loo probably two times a day, but all normal and controlled. No accidents as yet, so I feel great.

Think you have to stay positive and just don't overload the system as too much food may not be so good. Little and often seems to work with me so far.

And I wish you all the luck in the world and hope it goes well for you this time round as it's worth it in the end.

Take care, Sara
skelly
Hi Loretta

Yes, it was a long time, but to be honest, I had no treatment plan for rebuilding my pelvic floor muscles. My doctor said I was a perfect candidate for surgery, and I'm fine now. Everything is working fantastic. It's going well for me, and I would advise anyone who is a good candidate to go for it. It's well worth it. I'm getting better and stronger by the day and looking forward to the future minus my bag...

Sara
tinker424

Wow, I am having my reversal in 3 weeks. I am terrified because the doctors give all kinds of scenarios. If the ostomy leaks, then they have to do a temporary one on the other side and have to wait until that one heals. I have had mine for almost 2 years and I am looking forward to it. Thank you for such positive words.