Practicing Irrigation in the UK

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Mollyam

I had a colostomy at the end of June and for the past three weeks, I have been irrigating. I would like to exchange tips and/or advice with another lady in the UK. I had to wait a while to start this due to ostomy nurses' holidays and certainly wish to continue, but some days it seems to work better than others and I would welcome encouragement from a more experienced irrigator.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,102 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

WAB
Hello there...sorry, I am not a female...whoops...but here goes...I have been irrigating for 5 years now...and well, for those colostomates who are eligible...it is a life saver...as well...it does set you free...you control the situation...

Here is the way I do it...I do it in the shower...on a soft bench...with a bucket...and a kit from one of the suppliers...hang the kit on the shower nozzle...it is very comfortable...as you will be on a bench...or an upside down strong bucket...a higher one...

I do it before I shower and well have found...it is easier on clean up...you can relax while doing it and then...irrigate and then take a shower...clean up a breeze...as all goes into the bucket...just relax and let the procedure take its course...

Even when traveling, I use this method...even if there is no shower stall and just a bathtub...I hope I have been of some help...

You take care...

Kind regards

WAB
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Mike

I have been reading about irrigation for a few months now. I fail to see what good it does, except give you a false sense of security. What happens if you do have a problem and then what?

Mollyam

Thanks for the reply, interesting WAB.

You obviously agree that irrigating is well worth the effort and reliable in due course. I am having a few teething problems getting water in, but I definitely intend to persevere as there is already some benefit.

Past Member
I have a question... Have you tried irrigation?

Never act until you have clearly answered the question: "What happens if I do nothing?" ~Robert Brault

Peace...

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
boss

Hi, I have been irrigating for 2 years now and it is great. You don't have to worry about any accidents. Although, I am just getting back into it because I had a stoma hernia in April and I am still recovering.