Ileostomy reversal - Seeking advice on removing the bag after multiple bowel resections

In this discussion
Replies
Views
fordlady

I am new to this, so I will tell my story and then see what comments are made. Ok, well back in 2011 I was diagnosed with cervical cancer so I started chemo and radiation. I had 35 radiation and 4 weeks of chemo and also 4 internal radiation. Went back to work felt fine even through 2012. Well Jan. 3, 2013, my stomach started hurting severely went to the doctor they thought it was gall bladder so they took it out. Well, I still was hurting so I ended up going to another hospital, I was there 9 weeks. They said from radiation that between my small intestine and colon it had collapsed. So I ended up having 3 different bowel resections. When I woke up I had this ileostomy bag. They said they had taken around 2 feet total out. I have had the bag since April 2013. I am really ready to get this thing off I do not like it at all. If there is anything anyone can tell me about any of this I would greatly appreciate it!!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,104 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Primeboy

You should have a good sphincter and some assurance from your surgeon that you won't be in need of frequent toilet trips. Good luck!
PB

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Highlander15

I had this happen to me, had a double dose of radiation, internal radiation (radioactive isotope). Had a perforated bowel, an ileostomy, a colostomy, then a urostomy at one time or another. My bowel never recovered from the radiation, and had a bladder uroplasty. Bleed constantly and have iron IV and blood transfusions regularly. Always tired. - Meg

sfgiantsfan

I had 6 weeks of radiation which ended in July 2012. Just this past spring, I learned that it damaged my bladder and caused me to have infections every so often. It also caused me to have some damage to my small intestine, but thankfully I have not had to have any further surgeries. That mainly caused me to have really bad diarrhea, but my doctor has me take a low dose of antidepressant medication which studies have shown helps slow things down. I also had chemo, but after 3 sessions, we had to stop because doing that at the same time as radiation caused my white blood count to go too low. I still suffer from fatigue, but I don't know if that is a side effect from treatment or not.

Highlander15

I have had a lot of bowel and bladder problems. I have a fistula right now and have been to all the major hospitals but unable to get resolution.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Sweetie pie
Hi 2002, I was told I had fibroids. After the surgery, I was told I had uterine cancer. From 2002 to 2009, I was on chemo and pain meds. In 2007, I had cyber knife treatment. Two months later, I started having severe discomfort in my rectum. My bowel started to move less and less until one day it just stopped altogether. I went almost 10 days without a bowel movement, taking laxatives which didn't help me at all. I was getting sicker every day until I realized it was time to go back to the hospital. I ended up with a colostomy, which I still have today. It's been 7 years with it now. A few years ago, I was scheduled to have it reversed until I found out that I had a vaginal/recto fistula. To make a long story short, it's closing slowly and I don't have as much pain as I used to. I feel almost normal down there. I haven't had sex with my husband in years and I'm afraid to even try because I might injure myself. I don't know what to do. Hopefully, I am able to have my ostomy reversed someday because now I have a parastomal hernia. Span wish all the best.
Highlander15

I had a reversal, a colo-anal anastomosis... say that with your teeth out! My fistula is getting bigger, it is not recto but vaginal with the bladder. What is sex? I think I remember what that is... my husband ran off. -M