Clear fluid leaking from stoma - is this normal?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Verdun

I have had a stoma for over a year, but I now find I have clear fluid coming out of my bottom now and again. Does anyone else have this, and is it normal? I feel like I want to go to the toilet normally. Thanks for any help as I'm getting worried.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,098 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member
Hi Verdun, I've had an ileostomy for 7 years, and over the last 12 months, have experienced your problem. It can start and stop at any time, and is very annoying. Usually lasting about 3 weeks.
For the past 7 weeks, I have had no trouble, but, awaiting the next session, I have a solution of charcoal which my consultant has prescribed, to be drunk in water within 2 hours (1 litre). I then have to report back to him if it colors the liquid or not, depending on the findings he thinks it might be a fistula.
Otherwise, he doesn't seem to think it's a common problem, and I even got the impression he thought I was making it up! It never happens when I have an appointment, which in any case, is only twice a year.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Primeboy
Hi Verdun. Your situation may be perfectly normal. Many of us with ileostomies have experienced clear anal discharge, which is nothing more than mucus lubricating the remaining bowel lining. There have been numerous posts about this topic here on this site as well as lots of good information on the web. Just Google the words: anal discharge ostomy, and you will have helpful information. Here's a good start:
http://www.stomaltherapy.com/documents/Patient_Education_Pamphlet_Anal_discharge_following_stoma_formation.pdf

PB
Verdun

Thanks for your replies. They made me feel a lot better.

Sweetie pie

Hi, I thought it was just me. Glad to hear that I'm not the only one suffering with this. I always have to go to the bathroom, and if I move a certain way, it will come out eventually. So humiliating to have to live like this. It seems to be not as constant now, but.... I don't know.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Verdun

Thanks, sweety pie. You are never alone. Someone on this site is suffering the same problems that all stoma mates suffer. Do keep in touch if you ever want to chat. By the way, I'm in England, not as it says USA.

nurse07

Hi, I just experienced that too in the past few days. I spoke to my surgeon, and she said it was normal. She suggested I use an enema to get rid of the fluid. Mine also had a terrible, foul odor. She also said I could use warm water in the enema bottle and just flush the rectum when I feel there is anything there or when I smell the odor.