Rectal Discharge

Replies
Views
dulcimerman

Rectal discharge
#I have had an ileostomy now since 2007 and though my rectum was stitched up, leaving a tiny hole, I still get horrid discharge 4-7 times daily. Sometimes the pressure is very fierce like a red hot poker pushing within me. I did speak to the surgeon a couple of years ago; he said it would clear in time but it has not stopped. Has anyone else got a similar problem? I would love to hear from you

Many thanks

Jas.

Highlander15

I've experienced that but not all day everyday. Do you think it is an acid type of problem from bile salts? My GI gave me Questran for the burning, it neutralizes the bile salts (it is a cholesterol drug). By the way, I was born in Partick, I have most of my surgery done in Edinburgh. I now live in Florida. - A Glasga Kielly-Margaret

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,358 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill
Hello Jas.

Many of us suffer with rectal discharge and you can find a few posts about it in the archives.  I understand it is because the rectal stump that they leave behind produces the same mucus that it would have produced if you were still passing stools from the rectum. However, because the stools are not passing through and taking the mucus away it can build up and cause pain. Personally I wear incontinence pads and try to just let it out as and when it wants to come. If I start getting pain through a build-up of mucus I irrigate it out.

I have a gadget that I've made that links up to the shower in the bath. However, I think that the irrigation equipment I use normally would probably do the job reasonably well. If you have an ileostomy you will not be able to irrigate that,  but I would have a chat to the incontinence nurses and/or doctors to see what they have to say.  It's worth noting that the stoma doctors and nurses tend not to know that much about incontinence stuff. So whilst the one surgeon does the initial job the aftercare is often spilt betweeen stoma and anal incontinence staff. Anyway, that' what I have found!

Best wishes

Bill