Ileostomy Reversal

In this discussion
Replies
Views
fordlady

I have had an ileostomy since last April due to a small bowel resection, they took about 2.5
feet from me. I am wondering about a reversal, wondering if they will be able to do it. My
doctor was worried about adhesions. If anyone has any suggestions, I would love to hear
them... Thank you.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,089 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Mrs.A
Hello Fordlady,

I'm sorry, I have no clue. I'm a permanent colostomate. I am also sure those who know these answers will come and post as soon as they give it a read!
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
lorraine-cooper1960
Hi ford lady. I wouldn't worry about the adhesions too much. Each and every surgery results in adhesions (stringy pieces of tissue that stick one surface to another) and every surgeon is well aware of this. Be guided by your surgeon if you have a trusting relationship with him/her and they can always check by keyhole first and have a good look around. It's the least invasive and only leaves a couple 3 maybe 4 very small surgical cuts (usually 1cm or less) and if the surgeon is concerned he can a. Wait until you wake up and discuss the options b. change to an open procedure if necessary and you gave prior consent c. Leave things completely alone if you are comfortable living with a bag.
I hope this has helped to reassure, I have over 30 years nursing and the change from being a nurse giving advice to becoming an ostomate really levelled me. It's ok to know the mechanics and tell the patient what to do and what to expect. But completely different when you have changed seats and become the patient.
I can now speak from experience and believe me i have learned more in the last 8 months from reading peoples daily troubles and triumphs, but ultimately you must feel 100% sure before you go ahead. It's ok to take longer than your allotted appointment to ask questions And there are no stupid questions, i would suggest you keep a running note pad of things to consider and if you are worried you might need longer ask the doctors receptionist to change you consult to a longer consult.
I will keep you in my prayers and i wish you well whatever you decide. After all our condition doesn't define us, it's who we are that matters. God Bless, Lorraine
PS Not that it changes your decision but I am a permanent ostomate and have made the choice to be content because the option was i would only have been here a very short time if i hadn't had it. Plus it was a complete surprise because I went in for something different but as Forest Gump said life is like a box of chocolates, and life is so beautiful and worth treasuring.
Ewesful

Adhesions have been conquered! There is a wrap they can use - it works beautifully. I am a living testament and although it is a choice to have the wrap because the tests are still happening - but what can you lose other than adhesions!
Good luck...