Alcohol causing severe diarrhea - need advice!

Replies
Views
Verdun
Hi everybody

I have a question. I decided at the weekend to have a couple of glasses of wine and wow, the next day was terrible diarrhea. Is this because of alcohol? It was so bad and made my Sally so sore. Do I have to be alcohol-free forever? Did it affect anyone else this way? I don't usually drink but fancied a treat.

Sorry, I don't know the correct spelling for diarrhea.
Bill
Hello Verdun.  I used to have this problem and decided many years ago that alcohol just wasn't worth the effort and the after-effects.  I now abstain completely.

Best wishes

Bill
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,423 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Snookis Mum

I have the occasional glass of wine, and sometimes it does give me diarrhea and sometimes it doesn't. I think it also has something to do with what I eat with it. I would absolutely hate the thought of never having another glass of wine!!
However, it is a good idea to limit yourself to one or two, or you really will suffer.
Sandi

vikinga

Hmm. I have the occasional glass of wine, champagne, or beer with no problem. I just consider whatever results in my bag are what they are. As long as I feel alright. I don't overindulge...just enjoy.

Past Member

Exact same goes for me. Loretta

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Feff

Hi Verdun, I used to find that it depended very much on what wine I drank.......
White wine had much less of an effect than red wine which went straight through me! If it's red you're drinking, it may be worth giving white a try next time you fancy a glass or two!

Primeboy

Alcoholic beverages never had any negative impact on my ileostomy beyond contributing to my overall dehydration, which can be treated with a bottle of Gatorade. Tea and coffee have the same effect. Generally, I avoid booze during the day, but I like to bring my nights to a close with a glass of scotch in one hand and a good book in the other. On special occasions, I'll swap the book for a good time in the chat room here. Like everything else, all things in moderation.

PB

Pebbles

Hi, I have had a colostomy for 5 months now and providing I drink water to maintain hydration, beer or wine have presented next to no problems providing it's taken in moderation. Just try different types to find what works. Remember, we are all different.

Good luck

PatinPickering
Verdun, I've had a colostomy for over 20 years. I'm a Scotch drinker with the odd beer (generally not on the same night) and the odd red wine with dinner (depends on the meal): I've never noticed an issue. I do notice food that "goes straight through" but not wine.

On the one hand, it's good to know what affects you. And, on the other hand, you don't want your ostomy ruling your life. You'll figure it out. If it bothers you, it might be worth the modicum of distress.
cpk

Generally, alcohol shouldn't affect your system. I have an ileostomy and I have 1 or 2 (only) vodka martinis each night. The alcohol does seem to slow the output, so I have to get up about 5am to empty. The good news is less output during the day.
Remember, unfortunately, everybody is different with an ostomy eating and drinking!

CPK

Firefly

I too have one glass of red wine each evening - no more or it's trouble. Also, increase the water intake. Love hearing others' comments - it helps me enormously. Thanks all.

Past Member

I too enjoy a glass or two of the red or white vino. No problems yet, and I've been an ostomate for 11 years now. Ice cream, on the other hand...

LadyHope
Hi Verdun,

I can drink up to two glasses of wine with dinner, but I really watch the red wine. For some reason, my bag will fill up almost completely when I drink the red and eat...in a matter of 15 - 20 minutes. My stoma is like a faucet. This does not happen with white wine. Also, after dinner, I will continue to hydrate myself with water, juice, or a combination until I go to bed. I also have some bottled water next to my bed, so when I get up during the night, I take a sip or two. I also noticed that after the initial empty, my stoma stops producing at such a rapid speed until 2 or 3 in the morning. It must be the way my body processes food.
vikinga

I would just like to add that I do not overindulge in alcohol for the very important reason of not wanting to be in the situation of trying to change my bag in an overly "happy" state.

Killarney
Reply to Bill

Celebrating Ireland's victory Saturday night and Sunday morning. Yes, diarrhea. But it won't stop me. I'm trying to live my life my way, and emptying my bag a few more times is no great hardship.