Title: Seeking Advice for Eroded and Blistered Skin as New Colostomy Patient

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses advice and solutions for managing eroded and blistered skin as a new colostomy patient.
catttters

Hello, I was after some advice. I'm a new patient who had surgery about 3 weeks ago. All was going okay until about a week ago. My skin under the flange/bag is eroded, red, raw, and blistered. I'm using Mercurachrome to try and hasten the healing process. Do barrier films allow the skin underneath to heal or do they add to the problem? I'm reacting to different brands of products, but I think it's because my skin is so damaged. My stoma and the skin around it are still bleeding from surgery. I have had to change appliances too regularly as I haven't been able to place a monthly order, and my stoma nurse has had to use bits and pieces until I order next week.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,086 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Verdun
Hi Catters

Is your output getting on your scintilla causing the problem? If so, maybe you're not putting your appliance correctly. It takes trial and error to learn. Are you keeping it really clean? Are you using barrier creams and sprays or Cavilon spray to build a barrier on the skin? And is your output runny and running out of your appliance? A few questions, I know, but if we know, we might be able to offer you some advice. We have all gone through the same problems you're having.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
catttters

The appliances are going on properly. Initially, I think there was some glue residue left on as I had no adhesive remover wipes. It is always well cleaned and the mercurichrome is a good antiseptic and healer. I have just tried a water-based barrier film and it seems to be helping. No new blisters around the edge. At least this flange will be able to stay on for at least 3 days. The almost daily changes would add to the irritation factor. My output is very liquidy as it's close to the colon. I have been lucky and only had 2 leaks. I have been restricted in the range of bags and accessories because my nurse hasn't placed my monthly order yet. I was able to get some great samples from some of the companies to keep me going. It's good to hear that I'm not alone in this and it's not so uncommon.

mild_mannered_super_hero
Hello and welcome to the forum. I will add a few comments. A few weeks post-op is a very difficult time as we all can remember, have faith and be patient...things will only get better from here on out.

Who suggested Mercurachrome? I have not heard of anyone using that. I do know that Mylanta is popular to heal the red, irritated skin. Apply a small amount and let it dry, then apply a little more, again letting it dry, then your preferred skin prep spray or wipe. Then your normal flange/paste/ring assembly. I believe that most skin preps are "gas permeable" which means some oxygen can get in but moisture is kept out. This should encourage healing.

What are you eating? If this is your first ostomy, I would suggest you eat several smaller meals, avoid eating until you are "full" like you did pre-op. Lessen your fiber intake or eliminate fiber completely if possible. Some foods may contribute to skin irritation, keep track of what you eat and how it affects your situation. Hope this helps, good luck, and keep us posted as to progress.
LadyHope
Hi Catters,

The first several weeks after surgery are truly the trial and error period regarding routine and appliances. Question...are you using a skin barrier prep product to protect your skin? Also, did a wound care nurse suggest crusting the skin around the stoma with ostomy powder and skin prep? This process helped me secure a good fit with the wafer and lessen the redness of my skin. The ostomy powder applied helped absorb extra moisture from the stoma and liquid output.

I was told to crust this way...use ostomy powder around the stoma on the skin first, then dampen the powder with the skin barrier prep....let dry completely...it develops a hazy, crusty look. Repeat the process one or two more times...then place the new wafer on.

Hope this helps. Good luck and keep posting. Everyone here has great suggestions to making life with a stoma stress-free.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
catttters

I'm using a skin barrier prep product from The Salts Company that is water-based and ideal for very sensitive skin. I also use stoma powder directly on my stoma. The blood mixed with the powder makes a good seal and reduces the sting from the stoma very well. The skin barrier has had some really good results. My blisters have all but gone. The skin is still a bit red and sore but is much improved compared to what it was. I'm also getting at least 3 days from my base plate now and have had no leakage from it yet. I have to change my bag every second day but I'm trialing a liquid-absorbing sachet which greatly reduces the amount of liquid so my bag seals should last longer too. Thanks everybody for ongoing support and care.

catttters
Update on my progress

I'm going pretty well at the moment. The skin is healing well except for 1 area about 1.5cm around my stoma. When I had stitches around my stoma site from my second operation, my stoma nurse cut the base plate wider so the stitches weren't covered by the plate. After I had my stitches out, she didn't adjust the base plate to go right up to the stoma for a week. I went and saw her and asked if I could adjust it because it has burnt all the skin off and it was just bleeding flesh. It's still sore and raw but I'm a fast healer so hopefully in a week or so I will grow some new skin over it again. All in all though, everything is good. I'm happy with my salts products and touch wood no leaks for quite a while and none at all from the base plate. I have also found a cheap, easy, and effective way of reducing my liquid volume. I'm putting some water storing granules in the pouch that are used in gardening. They have no effect on the pouch and are easy to remove as they become part of the waste mixture.