Desiderata

In this discussion
Replies
Views
tarababy
Hi folks, I know lots will already know this but I couldn't help myself..I know this off-by-heart as it was stuck to the toilet wall when I was a kid...and I spent a hell of a lot of time in there...lmao, but I have always thought it a beautiful piece....enjoy.....
DESIDERATA.................

;GO placidly amid the noise haste, remember what peace there may be in silence.As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons.Speak your truth quietly clearly; and listen to others,even the dull ignorant; they too have their story.Avoid loud aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.If you compare yourself with others,you may become vain bitter; for always there will be greater lesser persons than yourself.Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.Keep interest in your own career,however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery.But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals; everywhere life is full of heroism. Be yourself.Especially,do not feign affection.Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity disenchantment it is perennial as the grass. Take kindly the counsel of years,gracefully surrendering the things of youth.Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.But do not distress yourself with imaginings.Many fears are born of fatigue loneliness.Beyond a wholesome discipline,be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe,no less than the tree's the stars;you have a right to be here.And whether or not it is clear to you,no doubt the universe in unfolding as it should.Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, whatever your labors aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.With all its sham, drudgery broken dreams,it is still a beautiful world.Be careful. Strive to be happy.
(Found in old Saint Paul's Church,Baltimore;dated 1692)
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,090 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
erika

Hi Tara, hope you are keeping okay. Yes, one of my favorites as well.

gutenberg
Boy talk about bringing back memories. I was enjoying one my usual hospital stays and my sister had brought me Desiderata, a real fancy copy, anyway I had showed it to one of the Nuns and a priest and they thought it was so beautiful they asked me if I could Print up a few copies for them. When I got back to work I put a lot of effort into doing the best job I could. I did up a thousand for each and they were most grateful, even Knowing I was an atheist, it didn't matter.
gutenberg
Boy talk about bringing back memories. I was enjoying one my usual hospital stays and my sister had brought me Desiderata, a real fancy copy, anyway I had showed it to one of the Nuns and a priest and they thought it was so beautiful they asked me if I could Print up a few copies for them. When I got back to work I put a lot of effort into doing the best job I could. I did up a thousand for each and they were most grateful, even Knowing I was an atheist, it didn't matter.  

AND THEN THERE'S ALWAYS THIS:
Subject: Deteriorata
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 90 12:39:54 PST
Deteriorata
(National Lampoon)
(You are a fluke of the universe.
You have no right to be here.
Deteriorata, Deteriorata)
Go placidly amidst the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof. Avoid quiet and passive persons, unless you are in need of sleep. Rotate your tires. Speak glowingly of those greater than yourself; and heed well their advice, even though they be turkeys. Know what to kiss - and when. Consider that two wrongs never make a right, but that three do. Wherever possible, put people on hold. Be comforted, that in the face of all irridity and disillusionment, and despite the changing fortunes of time, there is always a big future in computer maintenance.
Whether you can hear it or not,
The universe is laughing behind your back.)
Remember the Pueblo. Strive at all times to bend, fold, spindle, and mutilate. Know yourself. If you need help, call the FBI. Exercise caution in your daily affairs, especially with those persons closest to you... That lemon on your left, for instance. Be assured that a walk through the seas of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet. Fall not in love, therefore, it will stick to your face. Gracefully surrender the things of youth: the birds, clean air, tuna, Taiwan - and let not the sands of time get in your lunch. Hire people with hooks. For a good time, call 606-4311, ask for Ken. Take heart in the deepening gloom that your dog is finally getting enough cheese. And reflect that whatever misfortune may be your lot, it could only be worse in Milwaukee.
Therefore, make peace with your god, whatever you perceive him to be: hairy thunderer or cosmic muffin. With all its hopes, dreams, promises, and urban renewal, the world continues to deteriorate. GIVE UP!

I HOPE NOBODY TAKES OFFENSE, JUST COULDN'T RESIST

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member

Tara's version was beautiful. Yours was so funny!

tarababy

Well, bugger me...didn't think anyone could stuff that one up...well done...not sure if I found it funny or not...Some parts were...but it sure as hell puts a bit of a downer on the original one...Sorry Gutenberg...Rather the original...

gutenberg
Well Tarbaby I don't believe anything could put a downer on the original, It stands alone as a beautiful piece of work, but everything is fair game when you're trying to hang on to your sanity, or whats left of it.
tarababy

Hey Gutenberg, wasn't trying to be rude...just didn't see the funny side. But yes, everything is fair game when, as you say, you're trying to hang on to your sanity. But that's what I love about this site...everyone gets to have an input. Who cares if not everyone likes it? Anything and everything, or anyone, can be fair game, don't you think? Especially on here...Anyway, Gutenberg, keep up with the input, don't worry what I think. I'm only a little drop in a big ocean. It's great to have you on here.
Also, hi Erika, thanks. I'm doing okay for now...hope you're well too. Take care, folks.

gutenberg
Here I Was thinking you meant DIARRHEA, MY BAD.
Sassy Granny

I enjoyed both. I appreciate beautiful literature and irreverent literature. If we can't laugh, what's the point?

vulcanBMk2

How the heck did "Rotate your tires" get in there??? I spend a lot of time on Jeep Patriot forums arguing with my American friends about the waste of time, effort, and money rotating tires is.... We just don't have the history of doing this in British motoring. Along with changing your oil every 3000 miles.... I tell them over here we change our oil every 9000 miles and never rotate our tires....

OK, back to Ostomy.... How often do you rotate your bag.... lol lol

gutenberg
About as often as I rotate my tyres, of course I sleep in the bathtub
eddie

Tara B. That was very cool. I enjoyed it so much!!!
Eddie

tarababy
Hi folks....well let me say sorry.. Haven't been ignoring anyone deliberately.. My account got suspended due to a bank stuff-up.. Then got a mate to take off 1 programme for me while it was offline.. Mmmm... BAD MOVE THERE!! Whatever he did.. He broke my PC... Had to call a professional in after I was told to stop ringing and hassling him to fix my computer after he broke it and to shove it up my... Oh buga... I don't have one ya little freak..... So now.. Almost 2 weeks and enough money to go on a holiday I'm back... No I didn't die... But PC did... Will get any and all who write to me... To send me emails so I can add you all again... As I said.. I lost everything... Ok hope everyone is well and now let's get on with it... Cheers Tara
gutenberg
Well at least we can stop worrying about your health, of course without your pc up and running you couldn't tell us that. Best wishes and good health.Ed