Preparing for the final part of ileostomy reversal

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Jenniee
Hi everyone!

I joined this forum recently in search of people to talk to who have already been through a reversal of the colostomy bag. I myself have undergone the first part of the reversal, and I'm due to have the second part at the beginning of June. I'm looking for advice on ways to prepare for this, mentally and physically!

I also welcome any questions people may have about what I have gone through so far and advice.
Jennie.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,100 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Ewesful

I think you will find several points of interest - just that no one has addressed them to you -- I cannot do a reversal but I know there are many happy results -- Good luck and if you don't get the info you need by reading the blogs - hit the site again!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
fable3

Hi there!! I was in your shoes a couple of years ago. You can check out my profile and view old posts for my version of a two-phased colostomy reversal. Things that come to mind: soft butt wipes, extra soft toilet paper, butt paste (for babies), and patience. Learning to poo again takes patience with yourself. Go slow. Relax. It will be painful at times, but that first bit of flatulence is a joy!!! Ha ha. A few days at home and I was constipated. Normal. A few weeks later, I was back to work, enjoying life. Let me know if you have any specific questions. Happy to help walk you through this important step in your life!

Jenniee

Thanks Fable3 for your reply! I have actually undergone the surgery and am now at home resting up. It hasn't been as hard as I expected it to be at all and I am very glad! I agree with you about the wipes and cream, they are definitely a must! I haven't been eating much at all so bowel movements haven't been overly frequent, but I'm sure when my appetite returns fully this will change!

Jenniie :)