Post-op complications: Wound infections, leakage, and swelling. Seeking advice.

Replies
Views
kevs1981
Hi, I have posted before and I would like to know if anyone else has had post-operative problems?
Since the op for my ileostomy a week ago, I have developed wound infections to the lower part of my abdominal incision and at both abdominal drain sites. They have been leaking profusely for 2 days now, and part of the wound has opened up again. I have a nurse coming out daily to check up on me and to change the dressings. I've been getting some small pain in my sides and still have a problem with post-op swelling and water retention in both legs.

Has anyone else had these symptoms after their operations? Is there anything else I can do to help these symptoms along?

I've been put on antibiotics and am still on morphine tablets for the pain (which don't seem to work that well)

Any advice would be great.

Thanks.
catttters

Hello, I had a similar problem. I'm about 4 weeks since surgery. I also got an infection at the wound site and sprung a few leaks. I was put on antibiotics and luckily they solved the problem after about 3 or 4 days. I'm on Tramal for the pain during the day and OxyContin for night. They work fairly well. I also took my repeat of my antibiotics about 4 days after I finished the first course because I was worried my bleeding stoma site might be getting infected. My doctor also changed my dressings daily and examined the wound site during the infection to keep on top of it. I hope it gets better for you quickly.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,314 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

scotiaman

Make certain to let your surgeon know what is going on...until you're healed, send his office a daily email noting positive and negative changes...be proactive...don't let any infections get out of hand.

Primeboy

I have been hearing horror stories of folks developing infections where they had surgery. A relative recently had heart valve replacement and for the past month, he has been on various antibiotics to treat an infection spot right on the new valve. I did a little research on surgical site infection (SSI) and learned that there is a higher incidence of infections in colorectal surgery patients. I also learned that for us, the best prevention is a thorough bowel cleansing before surgery. I recall my surgeon had me flushing for two days before surgery, drinking this godawful solution for 24 hours, and then undergoing a barbaric enema. The nurses told me he was pretty anal about having our plumbing as clean as possible. Well, after three surgeries, I never had an issue with infection thanks to his caution. Ben Franklin's old adage is still true: an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

PB
kevs1981

Hi all, in addition to the wound infection. I've just developed either a water/bladder infection. Has anyone else had this post-op?
I don't know if it's the op wound on my bladder or heaven forbid another damn fistula. I've been to the docs and they gave me yet more antibiotics.

I would love some advice from you guys.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
kevs1981

Hi all, not been on this site for a while, spending time scrolling through the posts and catching up on the latest discussions.

Things still not going too well this end, another part of my surgical wound, previously thought to have healed nicely, decided to open up and join its fellow. It was very messy and massively depressing. My bladder infection has not cleared up.

Just when things start to look up, something else happens. 1 step forward and 2 steps back.
It's really starting to get to me, it seems that it's all slowly getting worse instead of better. I'd hoped to be back at work at the end of the month, now it seems I won't be going back for another couple of months at least. By which time my employer will have fired me on health grounds because I've been off work for 7 months already.

I really wish I'd not had this surgery.