Stoma Outputs

Replies
Views
schneckerm88

Hello everyone, I had been away for the last 18 months due to regular obstruction. My colostomy stoma gave me many hospitalizations until it got so bad that I had an operation last November to remove old scar tissue. Since then, my outputs have changed from being more liquid to pancaked,
which only happens every 3-4 days. I'm wondering if my diet of homemade apple stew with the sweetener from the Stevia Plant and half a banana daily is contributing to this problem? Because of me being wheelchair-bound, it does not help. I'm on opiates, and my need for Movicol and Lactulose is great; otherwise, my tummy is constipated all the time. Appreciate any suggestions, please. I'm with a dietary food plan, but don't like my current situation.

Bubbles2010
Hi! I experienced small bowel obstructions for over a year until they removed scar tissue and redid my stoma as well. I have an ileostomy, however.

What else do you eat each day and have you mentioned this to your doctor? Is it considered a problem for you because it sounds like you are absorbing more fluid than you used to. This may be diet or the drugs. Narcotics play a big role in your output. Since it slows your gut down, it gives your intestines more time to absorb fluid. That has definitely been my experience and it's well known that too many narcotics can slow down or even stop peristalsis, causing an obstruction.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,365 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

schneckerm88

Thanks Bubbles for your reply. It is funny because my colostomy is called Bubbles too. I knew most of what your answers were, but I am grateful for your sharing with me. On Wednesday 19th, I had a freshly made vegetable juice - 300ml of carrot, beetroot, ginger, celery, and half a Granny Smith apple - made by my support worker. I drank it slowly. Within 2 hours, I had a massive liquid output of 5 pouches, which was such a relief. I think that this natural remedy will from now on be my savior. Lol

Bubbles2010
Glad to hear it!
beenawhile

Hello Bubbles, I'm David. I look around this site from time to time just to see what's going on! Not a paid member yet! Have you ever been on Inspire.com? It's like this site where you get lots of great info and meet others living with ostomies! Just wanted to say hello! (Been a while)

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister