Ostomy

Replies
Views
glendot

I had an ileostomy 2 months ago. The surgeon did an ileal conduit, using a section of ileum for a conduit from the ureters to the stoma. My question is this: After 78 years of carrying poop, this piece of ileum is now carrying urine. How can it adapt from the chemistry of the poop to the chemistry of the urine?

GACWOCN

The intestines are amazing. To answer the question about the section of intestine adapting to the chemistry of the urine. The section of the small intestine that was used to create the ileal conduit does not know or care that it is no longer part of the GI tract and is now a part of the urinary system. It is probably still secreting mucus (it might look like long strands in your pouch) as it continues to transport waste through and out of your body.

So from your post, you have two ostomies? An ileostomy and an ileal conduit?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,357 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

glendot
GACWOCN,

Actually, I just had the ileal conduit. But my case is quite unusual. Three years ago, I had a green light laser TURP done on my prostate. Something went wrong, and the heat from the laser went up into the bladder and totally destroyed it. The ureters and sphincters were also damaged. Eventually, I went into kidney failure. The doctor then put in nephrostomy tubes, from the kidneys out through my back and to leg bags strapped on my legs. I lived 2 years with that arrangement, but last fall went to another urologist who recommended and did the ileal conduit. The ileal conduit was a challenge for my new urologist because part of the ureters were damaged. He had to do a lot of rearranging to get the ileal conduit in place, but it seems to be OK now. He left the nephrostomy tubes in for the time being, but with plugs, as a backup while we are making darn sure the conduit is working OK. He will remove them in a week or so.
SallyWillard

That is amazing! The procedure and your positive attitude are both inspiring! Thank you for sharing this. And God bless!

glendot

The ostomy area keeps getting congested with some kind of gunk, greatly reducing the hole size. The gunk is like taffy, I pull on it to clear it out but it stretches like taffy does. What is this stuff?

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister