Life-Changing Ileostomy Success Story: Inspiring Journey of Adaptation and Transformation!

Replies
Views
Rach1987
Hello everyone,

I've not been on here for such a long time. Last time I was on here, my boyfriend was facing the prospect of stoma surgery back in the summer, and now here we are, 5 months later, with a very special little friend we've affectionately named "Rocky".

Having Rocky in our lives has changed everything. Mostly, I'm pleased to say, for the better. My boyfriend has adapted to life with an ileostomy amazingly well, with very few down days (which are only to be expected from time to time). I just can't believe how different our lives are now compared to six months ago. The stuff we can actually plan to do and places to go and the people to see! It's just amazing!

My boyfriend has put on over three stone since his operation. This wouldn't have been possible last year while his body was ravaged with Crohn's Disease. He's back at the gym with a view to returning to his beloved roller/ice hockey in the coming months. He's eating whatever he wants. He's sleeping through the night. He's off all of his medication (apart from steroids but he has to come off them realllllllly slowly). He can drink BEER!! He doesn't spend half a day on the toilet. And best of all, he's in no pain. In a nutshell: His life has changed for the better.

I remember someone said to us last year that they'd rather be healthy with a stoma than sick without one. We didn't believe that person last year. But now we do. And if you're worried or scared about having this life-changing operation, then that's okay. It's very normal and part of the acceptance process. But I think it's worth seeing your future stoma as both life-changing and life-enhancing. It certainly has been for my boyfriend and for me.

I just wanted to share our story, I hope it's helped someone! If you need any kind of emotional support or just someone to talk to, either as a stoma patient or as someone close to a stoma patient, please don't hesitate to get in touch. I'd love to be able to help in whatever way I can. Everyone is here to support each other.
Taz-uk

Hi Rach,
This is great to read. I'm due to have my ileostomy on Tuesday and was and still panicking like mad. To read he's returning to do normal activities is awesome. I've missed so much over the years from my illness. To think in 6 months I could be getting back to being able to enjoy life is amazing.
Taz x

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,374 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Rach1987

Hi Taz,

Your comment has made my day. My hope was to at least help one person.

I hope your surgery goes well. I think a positive attitude will help! I will be thinking of you.

Believe me, my boyfriend was feeling exactly the same as you back in September, but he hasn't looked back since. He missed out on so much too, but he's got his life back now. And so will you!

Send me a message if I can be of any more help x

Monsieur Le President

As long as you are otherwise fit, you can do whatever you want.
I played rugby as a kid until I was 20 when UC kicked in, then 8 years in and out of hospital (bed).
Then at 30, 2 years after a total colectomy, I decided to have a go again.
I played for 17 years.
I am now President of my local club, SelbyRUFC.
Be brave, you really do have a new chance at life.

Patrick27
Great story! Thanks for sharing.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
pussycat

Hi kids,
At my time of life I can call you that. You must both be so proud of yourselves
for what you both put into your relationship. I wish you nothing but health, happiness
and everything you could wish yourselves.
Have a wonderful future,

Marilyn

Rach1987

I'm so amazed and touched by the support on this group. You guys are all amazing! Thank you all for your words of encouragement. It really does help.

Again, please get in touch if you need someone to talk to! X

pammer

Hi. I loved what you wrote. I am 19 days since my ileostomy surgery. I thought I was in a good place but woke up at 4:00am not feeling well. So now I have to meet my doctor at the hospital very early tomorrow morning. I'm praying I don't get admitted. But it was so nice to hear how well your boyfriend is doing. I hope to be in that place soon.

Regards, Pammer
Rach1987
Hi Pammer,

I'm sorry to hear you've been having a rough time. I really hope you feel better soon; hopefully this is just a teething problem.

My boyfriend suffered from really bad trapped wind for a few weeks after his surgery which made him feel really unwell. We worried he had a blockage but I had to burp him like a baby and he was OK.

Keep me posted. I'm thinking of you x
gordonc

Hi Rach, sounds like your fella is getting on with his life as best as he can. I have a urostomy, have had for 20 years or so. It hasn't stopped me from doing anything much. I just make sure that if I am going anywhere, I have spares in case I get a leak! He is also a very lucky guy to have such an understanding lady with him. You will probably have read here of all the people who get "dumped" when their partner gets a stoma of some kind (mine moved on after 10 years, best thing ever).

So go on and enjoy the rest of your lives, make the most of being alive!!

Gordon