Best Ostomy Guards for Contact Sports?

Replies
Views
Rach1987

Hello all,

This is a question for all of you contact sports fans! Which products would you recommend to best guard/support a stoma? Specifically an ileostomy?

My boyfriend wants to return to roller hockey again soon but is a bit anxious about his little pal getting hurt. Are there any specific ostomy guards that people have tried and tested?

Any advice would be welcome!

Monsieur Le President

I played rugby at first and made a plastic guard myself.
But this did more harm than good as it got dragged about, so I continued without and came to no harm.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,359 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

dsmithsc91

I have one of these http://www.ostomyarmor.com/

I wore it a good bit after my surgery, though not for any contact sports. It is quite comfortable, but ultimately I found I didn't need it.

Good luck to your boyfriend on his return to hockey.

Cheers,
Dave

Daz1985

I have just started playing football again. In fact, I just got back from it. I've played about 6 times now. The first time I wore a support belt that was specifically provided for sports. It was fine, but I found that it was too tight, so I decided to wear my everyday support belt (which I wear religiously) - this was much better and so far so good and no accidents.

spartan

I am 64. Got my ileostomy in 94. I play ice hockey and have had no problems. Most hockey pants these days have extra padding up front. So far so good. My biggest worry is sweating too much and having the seal loosen :) hasn't happened though.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
PatinPickering
Hi Rach. I was playing goalie in ice hockey when I was diagnosed with cancer and, after 5 1/2 hours, ended up with a colostomy (20+ years ago). There are a few issues related to sweat but I found that a dousing of talc powder at the top of the (i.e. where the pouch sits) and spandex/bicycle shorts to keep the pouch in place seemed to diminish this concern.

The real scary issue (which I don't see addressed here) is that of skate cuts. There are no nerves in the stoma so he could be bleeding to death and not realize he's been cut! Consequently, I took a kidney-shaped plastic guard from an old pair of hockey pants and fastened it to my jock. In my case (i.e. with a colostomy), to the left of the cup. Heavily adhesive taped to the elastic waistband of the jock and across the top of the cup.

It took a fair amount of fidgeting and adjustments until I was comfortable but, in the end, it worked perfectly for about 3 or 4 years of old-timers hockey!

My knees gave out before my desire to play diminished, so I quit about 7 years ago.

Good luck!
Rach1987
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the advice. I think more than anything, he just needs a confidence boost and to read that you guys are all active, some even playing hockey, will be really positive for him.

I think he's going to get some super padded hockey shorts and keep on using his Stealth Belt. That's been a godsend too; a great product if you need a bit of everyday support.

PatinPickering, he's a roller hockey player rather than ice (although he did play ice once upon a time), so luckily there isn't the worry of a blade slice! But you're quite right, I guess it's something no one ever thinks about.

Thanks for all your help and words of encouragement!