Has anyone tried the Salts stoma collar? Insurance coverage and effectiveness?

Replies
Views
Penguins7

I was wondering if anyone has used the stoma collar by Salts? If so, how did they work and will insurance cover them as they are very costly. I continue to have leaking problems and have tried almost everything....most recently the wax rings with no success. My stoma nurse recommended that I thicken up my output to counter the leaking. I have done that with Imodium, but now I think the pancaking is making it worse. Lately I can't get more than 24 hours on a wafer. When the output was more watery I could at least get 2 days. With my work travel schedule, I need to get this under control? Any tips would be appreciated. I have an ileostomy. Thanks. Penguins7

mild_mannered_super_hero

Can't help with info on salts. Do you wear a convex? Do you use a belt?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,460 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Penguins7

No on convex and yes I wear the belt until wafer has had time to adhere.

mild_mannered_super_hero

I would suggest you try your same brand flange (if it adheres well), but use a convex instead of the flat. Is the skin under the flange fairly flat without dips? If not, add the Eakin ring or (as in my case) about 1/2 of one over the low spot on the skin - which is prone to leaks. Get a comfortable belt (I prefer Hollister) and wear it all the time if you need to. Adjust it to where it is snug but not too tight where it cuts into you. Be sure and put the hooks facing out. This will orient the belt itself closer to the body. Good luck and let me know if this works.

grahamditton
Hi, I started off using Hollister convex pouches with Salts O seals and took 4 Imodium daily but always had leakage under the seal and occasional blowouts, particularly when driving or working round the house. Haven't been able to better the pouches however, having read other people's recommendations, I sent for samples of O rings from other manufacturers and had a Eureka moment when I first tried an Eakin Slim ring. Smaller than the Salts ring, I found it much more friendly to the mold and it adhered well, I felt immediately we were a great match.
I no longer have any leakage under the wafer, any soiling is confined within the stoma area and I can now go three days between changes, as long as the pouch filter remains clean.
Because the ring leaves a residue of adhesive both in and around the stoma, I find it important to follow a strict routine once I've removed the pouch. I first clean as much of the gunge off with a dry wipe, rinse off the wipe in fairly hot water and repeat. Then, using an adhesive removing wipe, I clean the whole area previously covered with the wafer, follow this with a shave if necessary, then wash off the site with clean water and allow it to air dry with a little help from a warm hand. This is then followed by Hollister Adapt powder, if necessary, then I flatten the outer edge of the Eakin Slim with my fingers to make it wafer thin, mold the ring to fit snugly around the stoma rose, then apply directly to the skin, ensuring none is exposed within the ring. Then the pouch is pushed home with the aim of leaving about an eighth of an inch clearance between the inner edge of the wafer and the stoma rose.
Sorry if that is long-winded, however, this does work for me. However, I haven't quite finished yet. On the point of Imodium, I now only take maybe 2 or 3 a month after eating fish or soup, as I found they cause more trouble than they solve. Firstly, they do stiffen the stool. Secondly, any liquid then drunk finds its way around the firm stool and comes out as muddy liquid, giving the impression that the Imodium isn't doing its job. Naturally, we then continue taking the Imodium because it does do some good, we think. However, every so often, we have eaten something that absorbs lots of liquid, but the Imodium still tries to do its bit resulting in a concrete stool which eventually exits like a broomstick, causing some discomfort and dislodging the wafer on the way out. Anyway, food for thought. Eakin slims are definitely an improvement over Salts for me, and Imodium is good if it's needed but should be used with caution if one wishes one's pouch to stay put.
Right, I'm done. Hope there's something I've written which you find useful. Regards.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
vikinga

I have tried the stoma collar. Thought the concept was fabulous except for one fatal flaw. My stoma is not the same 24/7, meaning that it moves and goes up and down at times. When it does one of its retractions to pretty much skin level, a stoma collar becomes useless. If my stoma would stay at its normal 1/2 to 3/4 inch height all the time, the collar would be great. Also, having uneven skin around the stoma can be an issue as well.