Going Out

Replies
Views
pammer

I am two weeks now from surgery. I am looking for tips on what all I should bring with me when I go out. Thanks.

vulcanBMk2
Hi Pammer, nice to see you in the chat room last night. Although I am urostomy, I carry a small kit with me in my jacket pocket and one in the trunk of my car. I have two one-piece pouches, a couple of disposal bags, some wet wipes, and dry wipes. All folded down in a small waterproof wallet-style bag.

Believe it or not, I have only had to change my bag once in a public convenience, and that's in 6 years.

Oh yeah, in my car, I also carry a nice absorbent bathroom towel, just in case I need to sit on it in the car...
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,358 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Verdun

U need to take what u think u will need. I take pouches, sprays, powders, and bags. I have a small bag that they fit in very discreetly. Also, I always carry underwear and clean leggings in the car. Only needed them twice but better safe than sorry. Also, deodorant if u need to change in the loo. Get used to a big bag, very popular nowadays. Nothing may not happen to u but always a chance it will. I feel quite secure with the methods I use. U will get used to it and nobody will know. Hope this helps.

scotiaman

Hi...if you had UC then it is possible you might have some unexpected anal discharge, I would suggest wearing a Depends diaper. ALSO, it doesn't hurt to have a three-foot length of small rope in the trunk. I was at an ATM one day and the bag came off. What saved the day was a rope in the trunk of the car to tie off the bottom of my pants until I got home. And if you're caught without a cord or rope, shoe laces work as well. Keep a change of clothes and ostomy supplies tucked away in a backpack in the trunk as well.