Excessive Output and Struggles with Hydration

Replies
Views
pammer

Hi. Today is day 19 since my surgery. I woke up at 4:00 am soiled again. I was so tired I couldn't see straight. But I had to get everything off and get in the shower only to have crap flying everywhere. Sorry, don't mean to gross anyone out. I had everything ready to put on when I got out of the shower but still managed to make a mess everywhere. My output is very watery and I have had to empty my bag 3 times in the last 2 1/2 hours and will again when I finish writing this. It just keeps filling up. I am drinking water so I don't get dehydrated but I can't get it in to me fast enough to make up for what I am losing.

mild_mannered_super_hero

I have a colostomy, so I'm no expert. However, I know that there are certain things you eat to help slow output: marshmallows, rice, potatoes are a few that come to mind. You might try eating whichever works best for you a few hours before you go to bed. Do you get up to empty at night? If not, you might want to set an alarm and get up every few hours to empty. Hopefully, an ileo member will help out with a few suggestions.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,378 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Anoniem18

I wouldn't worry about grossing people out.
I'm sure everyone on this site has had a similar experience. Mmsh suggestions are good ones, although I don't know about rice and potatoes, but that seems rational. I would add peanut butter! In addition, make sure you have lots of paper towels, especially close to the bathtub!
I like the ones that have a half sheet, which I fold double and place over the stoma while I get to the next step. If necessary, get some clear plastic medical tape at the dollar store, and this allows you to tape the paper towel while you get organized.
I use extra tape, often athletic tape or hockey tape, and/or Coloplast elastic tape to tape the edge of the wafer/flange down. While this may not completely reduce leakage, it will minimize the problem. You'll realize a leak is developing before total separation occurs.
And Pam, whatever you do, make sure you can laugh at these problems in order to keep a healthy perspective. It will get better.
I had colon cancer and had it removed in May 2012, which left me with an ileostomy.
Best of all, I'm still alive.

edithmbooth

Make marshmallows your friend!!

Eat a few (4-5) before your shower/bag change..... you might be very surprised.

Of course we do not know all the ins of your diet....but try to focus on stool thickening.....toast...bananas....try to stay away from the foods that make it softer....fresh fruits although great for you not so great for the ileo.....I am certain you can find a list on the web of foods that could help...

I do hope that you will try the mallows....they really do help...a lot!

LadyHope
Hi Pammer,

I am so sorry that you are struggling with the pouch and leaks. How frustrating! I have a quick question for you. When you put on your new wafer and bag, do you place your hand over the wafer to warm it for about 5 - 10 minutes? I read that doing that simple technique really helps the wafer stick better. I do it every time. I also push down the wafer area between the stoma and the edge of the wafer where the bag snaps on. Although I do see some erosion of the wafer after a few days, all is pretty good.

Potatoes and saltine crackers tend to thicken the output for me. I did try the marshmallow trick and it worked too. Because you are only 19 days post-op, I am thinking that things will eventually slow down and thicken for you but it may take some more time. Everything was watery for me in the beginning. You may want to call your doc and explain the situation. There may be something you can take...my friend did in the very beginning, immediately following surgery.

Also, you can purchase extra-large pouches for nightwear. You may want to try them for now until you can get away with emptying 1-2 times each night. I get up at least once during the evening to take care of everything and I do not sleep on my belly any longer. The most I will do is sleep on my side hugging a pillow. I worry about the bag popping like a balloon. A couple of times I woke up and the pouch was totally inflated...I could not believe it.

I hope that these suggestions help some. Keep posting, others will have great ideas too.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
pammer

Thank you for the tips. I did reach out to my doctor and I am seeing her tomorrow.